TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few questions about lowering my tbird. I have a 1996 Thunderbird LX Sport. I ordered Ebiach 1.5 inch lowering springs. I did read the tech article on this but I am still unsure of what to do. Before I put the springs in I need to know how important it is to change the sway bar and end links. If possible at this time I do not want purchase a kit. In addition, I am only a mechanic. I am not real firmilair with alignment, camber and toe of cars. When it comes to that I take it in and have it done. Due to lack of knowledge and and alignment rack. Can I just take the car in and tell them to make it right, or do I have to show them certain specs? In advance thanks for the help.

Scott

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
ScottG29 said:
I have a few questions about lowering my tbird. I have a 1996 Thunderbird LX Sport. I ordered Ebiach 1.5 inch lowering springs. I did read the tech article on this but I am still unsure of what to do. Before I put the springs in I need to know how important it is to change the sway bar and end links. If possible at this time I do not want purchase a kit. In addition, I am only a mechanic. I am not real firmilair with alignment, camber and toe of cars. When it comes to that I take it in and have it done. Due to lack of knowledge and and alignment rack. Can I just take the car in and tell them to make it right, or do I have to show them certain specs? In advance thanks for the help.

Scott

Some people opt to buy the shorter end links, but from what I read(and did myself) You do not NEED to buy them.

Also alot of places I went for an alignment would not do a lowered car, only stock ride height, so you may have to find a performance shop to do it.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Ya theres no need for shorter end links unless you put an aftermarket rear or front sway bar in.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
There are no different sway bar links for the front, so don't worry about that at all. In back, a new set of endlinks is about 12 bucks if you get the generic fit (but good quality) Energy Suspension links. The idea is to keep the rear sway bar level with the ground while at ride height.

·
Registered
824 Posts
you'll probably need new front upper control arms too/ball joints.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
MattsLE97 said:
Ya theres no need for shorter end links unless you put an aftermarket rear or front sway bar in.
Would that include 89 SC swaybars? I'm looking into a set of those for the Sport.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
hmmmmm that i dont know my guess is yes but i'm not totally sure

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
As stated above, you don't NEED to change endlinks when lowering the car (type of sway bar doesn't matter here). However, it's standard practice and generally a good idea to use the correct length endlinks in the rear, so that the sway bar ends are parallel with the ground at ride height.

-Rod

·
Registered
102 Posts
i know this is an old thread, but i was doing a search and this seemed to be the closest i could find. I got the bird lowered and need to know where i can find some shorter rear sway bar end links. i also have the addco 1 3/8 bars waiting to go in, right now with the stock bars the rear isnt sitting level.. thanks

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I found my Energy suspension endlinks at Auto Zone.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
96blubrd said:
and those made it squat back down? what springs are you running?
No, but even with the long endlinks my suspension wasn't really binding. I replaced them just to get the rear sway bar level with the ground for better geometry. I currently have Bilstein shocks, but they've got 60,000 miles on them so it's either time for a rebuild or a set of Konis.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Why don't they seem right? Too long, or something else?

·
Registered
483 Posts
i have a 96 lx v-8.i bought the eibachs and left everything else oem.dropped it off at shop picked it up after work my ride sits great and i do not have any weird noises.if you can. upgrade some parts cause that never hurts.if not, you should be good.just my .02

·
Registered
102 Posts
i dont know, I just went and looked under the bird i guess there right.. They do seem to be long but i guess we'll see when they finally go on. I guess i shouldnt second guess the experts. "SHORTER rear sway bar endlinks"

1 - 16 of 16 Posts