TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 GT, 5 speed, that I just bought, has an SVO/Roush Blower w/ the stock pulley, SVO Heads, PI Cams, FMS Shortys, Bassani Catted X Pipe (coming off asap), Roush Side Exhaust (coming off asap). Stock maf, stock air box w/ big K&N. Car was tuned on 91 octane (we have 93 here) like 7 years ago.

Im gonna dyno it this week and see what it makes, Im debating on keeping it, or selling the blower for something else (Vortech, On3Turbo or cams & 150 shot). I have an NOS Dry Kit, and/or an NX Wet Kit I was thinking about adding to it as it is though.

I wonder if 400-430 rwhp through the 5 speed is possible with a pulley, meth, big JLT RAI setup, 70mm tb, 90mm LMAF or SCT MAF, getting rid of the cats, and going to some Magnaflows....and maybe having Steigmeier do some porting? Then maybe spray a 50 shot too.

I have seen 8 psi on the gauge at times (digital Nordskog), I wonder if the exhaust is causing that much of a restriction? The car hates this heat, as expected. I think a small shot, or meth/water injection (or both) would make a nice difference.

Also, I need to relocate the IAT, it's in the stock location, which isnt a good thing, where are you guys putting yours?

Are you higher powered SVO blower guys posting dyno numbers with your converters locked or unlocked?

What plugs are you guys running? It had some super cold Champion Racing S59YC plugs in it when I got it, I just swapped to some Autolite AR103's.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
You have a private message

·
Registered
836 Posts
robertp makes quite a bit of power with svo powered cars. Talk to him. He knows his stuff.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Sorry Bladerunner ive got more expeirence with this blower than all those sites put togethoer, not trying to act like i know it all but ford only sold like 50 of these, i know got on the horn with ford about this, and ive bet ive played with about 10 different cars that have this blower and put about 5 or 6 of them on, just check your pm and call me and all help you all that i can.
and i didnt say all blowers i mean this blower in general the ford racing svo blower

not trying to be rude blade runner if i was sorry about that
Robert

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RobertP, I will hit you back sometime soon

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Please do I can make that thing run I've got 3 cars with that blower in the 11s and 2 are mine a few others are are low 12 cars and just need more tuning

Robert

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im having a weird issue. Car usually makes 5-6 psi, well sometimes it will creep up top 7-8 even 9 psi. It seems to only do this after driving around for awhile, and when shifting really hard. The car almost kind of surges slightly on the shift, then the boost gauge starts creeping up. If I just roll into it in third and start going, it doesnt get that high. It's an electric digital Nordskog gauge.

I wonder if it's something with the bypass valve?

You can see where the boost gauge is plumbed on top of the intake near the EGR.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Ya know. Robert is the man. He helped me along and is still helping me with trouble shooting and what not. He is definitly the go to guy.Keep the blower for yourself. The torque and up top HP is amazing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It just did it again, did a wot 1-2 shift, fine, did it again, it surged on the shift, looked up and the boost gauge started climbing to 7. WTF It has to be something with the bypass? It does it on a HARD shift, usually the 1-2.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ya know. Robert is the man. He helped me along and is still helping me with trouble shooting and what not. He is definitly the go to guy.Keep the blower for yourself. The torque and up top HP is amazing.
Im debating on it, just dont think there is enough power to be had from this setup, without doing alot. We will see what it dynos next week when I change the exhaust. In this heat, I think it's going to be weak sauce.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
well im telling you to call me? i promise you i can make that car run. you prolly have belt slip, dude ive got 2 cars with stock motors both running in the 11s what more do you want,

dude give me a call we can go over some different setups ill tell you what go to www.robstireandauto.com and go to videos and ever tbird and mustang on there except the dark blue 86 tbird has the same svo blower you have watch some of the videos and there all automatic cars

Robert

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
well im telling you to call me? you prolly have belt slip, dude ive 2 cars with stock motors both running in the 11s what more do you want,

dude give me a call we can go over some different setups ill tell you what go to www.robstireandauto.com and go to videos and ever tbird and mustang on there except the dark blue 86 tbird has the same svo blower you have watch some of the videos and there all automatic cars

Robert
All I gotta do is get mine to run 11's. :rolleyes: Maybe if I could hook up without the belt slip i might. He is probley going to make around low to mid 300ish rwhp im guessing. Which would be impressive on a stock pulley. He's already got a good blower so maybe he should swap the pulley and tune it. Ive driven both Vortech and SVO cars and the SVO just pulls harder.Both cars had similiar mods.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well im telling you to call me? i promise you i can make that car run. you prolly have belt slip, dude ive got 2 cars with stock motors both running in the 11s what more do you want,

Robert
Getting good et is alot easier with an auto and a big converter, Im more worried about how it's going to do on the street. I can make it work at the track, but if it doesnt MPH into at least the low 120's, Im going to get drug by everything around here lol. Of course, if you can get those cars to run pretty quick, I should be able to get this lighter Mustang to move. I dont think it's belt slip, because it GAINS boost randomly, after surging, usually on a hard 1-2 shift.

All I gotta do is get mine to run 11's. :rolleyes: Maybe if I could hook up without the belt slip i might. He is probley going to make around low to mid 300ish rwhp im guessing. Which would be impressive on a stock pulley. He's already got a good blower so maybe he should swap the pulley and tune it. Ive driven both Vortech and SVO cars and the SVO just pulls harder.Both cars had similiar mods.
Im debating on what to do, gonna change the exhaust early next week, then dyno it to see where it's at. If it makes decent numbers, I may start swapping things around, trying to shoot for 400-425 rwhp.

This whole randomly making more boost is weird. Car should never see 7-9 psi, it's the stock pulley, in hot weather, with better flowing heads than what the kit was designed for. I hit it in third earlier, ran it to 5700-5800, never saw more than 5 psi. If I nail it in first and start ripping gears, it does the surge on the shift, then starts making more boost. It's weird. I think it's bypass related, but dont even know where to begin with that thing. I even swapped from the Bassani Catted X Pipe to a Mac Prochamber, because I thought maybe the converters were plugging up.

My friend's Vortech S Trim 02 GT made 431 rwhp with Crower Stage II Cams, with a 3.33 pulley and no intercooler, Im nowhere near that. It makes 504 rwhp with crappy Patriot Stage II Heads, the same Crower Cams (not degreed either), 3.33 pulley and Methanol. It may not have as much instant torque, but he would destroy this setup with either configuration.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Don't know why you keep posting about your random boost and what your planning? Robert has offered to help you in 3 or 4 posts now. He knows, talk to him.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If he knows what is going on with this boost issue, why doesnt he just post? Not trying to be a dick, just curious. Im not really interested in making this thing any faster until I figure out why it makes 9 psi sometimes, but only on a hard shift. It's a blower car, picking up 2-3 psi out of thin air is pretty weird.

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
dude, pick up phone, dial his number, and call

Rob's a mechanic too, he can probably help you diagnose the issue. i'd wait on throwing more money into it, like exhaust etc until you figure out where the vac leak or whatever is coming from.

do you feel it lose power or gain power when the gauge shows a higher boost level? you made sure the fittings were tight right? :tongue:

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
I've been waiting on the call I'll be happy to explain to you over the phone why the boost goes up at the shift it's quite simple it's a roots blower the same way cobras do I've got one in the garage does the same thing and if u watched the videos u would see I'm spanking zo6 vettes in my 95 bird what more do u want? And if you want 120 plus mph go ahead and pull that blower off because with out my tuning and meth it will never happen and even then it will be close better off getting a vortech if u want those speeds I'll be honest that blower needs some port work and a dual nozzle meth kit with about a 2.8 pulley, with your nitrous it may happan just post that blower for sale heck I prolly have a buyer for it if your interested in selling

Robert

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
dude, pick up phone, dial his number, and call

Rob's a mechanic too, he can probably help you diagnose the issue. i'd wait on throwing more money into it, like exhaust etc until you figure out where the vac leak or whatever is coming from.

do you feel it lose power or gain power when the gauge shows a higher boost level? you made sure the fittings were tight right? :tongue:
It feels slower if anything, especially after the surge, the car falls on it's face for a second. The exhaust is getting changed regardless, Im not keeping this Roush side exhaust, no way, no how.

I've been waiting on the call I'll be happy to explain to you over the phone why the boost goes up at the shift it's quite simple it's a roots blower the same way cobras do I've got one in the garage does the same thing and if u watched the videos u would see I'm spanking zo6 vettes in my 95 bird what more do u want? And if you want 120 plus mph go ahead and pull that blower off because with out my tuning and meth it will never happen and even then it will be close better off getting a vortech if u want those speeds I'll be honest that blower needs some port work and a dual nozzle meth kit with about a 2.8 pulley, with your nitrous it may happan just post that blower for sale heck I prolly have a buyer for it if your interested in selling

Robert
I have been around alot of 03 Cobras, none of them gain an extra 3-4 psi after shifting them hard. I know boost will vary, but seeing 9 psi out of a 3.5" pullied Eaton, and only under weird circumstances is confusing. If I run through the gears granny shifting, it's fine, if I stay in one gear and run it to the limiter, it never makes more than 5-6 psi. If I shift it HARD, the car falls down, comes back up and the boost gauge starts climbing.

The only way I would even go after 120 mph or more trap kind of power, is with water/meth. The car is lighter than a Thunderbird by a good bit, and is a 5 speed, so that would help. I thought about putting nitrous on top, but I dont want to waste my time if it doesnt make any decent power on blower. I would be more content with a car that makes 400 on blower, or n/a & nitrous that makes 425 or more, than a blower, nitrous car that makes 400.

I just want to fix the random 9 psi thing, get it on the dyno, see where it's at right now, that will give me an idea of whether or not I want to try to push this setup. If it makes okay power, then I know there is more to be had with a bigger cai, pulley, retune, meth, etc. If it makes horrid power, then I will probably do something else.

It's fun to drive, but when you hang around LS1 cars making 350 rwhp with boltons, 400-450 rwhp with cams or heads & cam setups, 2v's making 500+ rwhp with Vortechs, Evos making 500-700 hp, Lightnings that run 9's in the 1/4, it gets depressing quickly lol. My buddy's Trailblazer SS runs high 11's n/a with a stock bottom end for crying out loud lol. Not to mention I have had faster cars, even a few that were n/a, that just makes it worse.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts