TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
over the summer ill be working full-time and getting lots of goodies for my car...

the first thing i need is paint... now i have been doing some reasearch, and its really all greek to me... what im looking for (what i think it is) is jet black paint... im not sure if it has the little shavings in it to make it look real shiny, but ive seen it on a few show cars (but nothing i could afford im sure) and a few cars around town. im looking for some suggestions on what to buy so i can just go to the body shop and tell them "i want this exact paint on my car"

thanks for listening... i know ive been asking alot latetly lol

btw... ill try to get some pics of my car... 94 lx v8

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Some paint has metal flake in it, some doesn't. You can get a deep finish in plain black w/o the metallic or pearl in it. If you don't know what exactly you're looking for, I suggest going to a couple of paint shops and see what they can offer. Keep in mind that if you are planning on re-painting the entire car, it's not going to be cheap. What color is the car right now??

Jay

·
Registered
122 Posts
good black paint jobs are the product of a lot of labor and therefore expensive. if you want black just get standard black. there is no trick to it just gotta sand out all the orange peel with fine grit paper (1500+) and buff it. if the shop is skilled you'll get the "10 mile deep" effect

·
Registered
128 Posts
After you buff it, wash it by hand too. Too many times I've seen black paintjobs where you see nothing but buffer swirls all over the place.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its tan right now, the clearcoat is faded so there are spots where its pretty much all gone lol... ill post a pic when i find my digital camera...

would it be cheaper if i bought my own paint? would i get that deep black shiny color from just a regular black paintjob? and how much would the "expensive" job cost?

thx :)

·
Registered
583 Posts
Black, it shows -everything-. You want it done completely right if you want it to look good at all. Since you're wanting to do a color change, you'll need the full works (door jambs, fender edges, etc) == more money. If you get friendly with a body/paint shop, it helps. If you know what or where to buy the paint, you might come out cheaper.. the paint shop may not like it though :p

My car is black and we used a single-stage high quality paint. It looks good.. but if I do it again, I'll probably still use single-stage paint instead of basecoat.. but go back over it afterwards with clearcoat. I'm telling you, black shows everything.. if you wash it wrong or with the wrong material, it shows :p Thought you didn't have any dents? You'll soon find out with black :p

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, my best friends uncle works on bodies... i think im going to get him to do it, and i planned on getting the shop to remove the dents too... how much you think is a reasonable price for some decent paint? im sure he could do a good job

or i could get it done for free... one of my friends needs experience in painting... but i dont know if it would be a decent job lol

thanks for the replies :)

·
Registered
583 Posts
prep work will make or break a paintjob.. as for cost.. it varies.. I think for a full paint shop to do a quality job.. you'll be looking anywhere from $2000-$3000. Definitely not Maaco :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts