TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
motor city poster
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all you fellow MN12 guys i have a question for ya.

My friend reciently swapped his 96 GT 4.6 Motor out of his mustang for a 99 Cobra Motor :D

i was wondering if any of the parts from his 96 GT motor would benefit (performance wise) my 96 Bird motor...

examples of things i was looking at. would be the throttle body (if it is any bigger?), the mass airflow sensor (any bigger or performance gains) and also the intake tube from the MAF to the Throttle body? He said he would sell me all 3 parts for about 80 bucks so i was wondering if it would benefit me to buy the parts from him?

the only other question about the MAF is that it has different connections (to airbox, and upper intake tube). so how would i go about changing that for my t-bird because u have the K&N FIPK?

If there is any other parts that you guys think would benefit my 96 Bird please let me know...

Thanks alot.. Patrick

Id rather be a blue oval boy than a bowtie B*tch

:headbang:

·
motor city poster
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The tranny is a 5 speed stick.... if i had the knowledge of how to convert my car to the 5 speed id buy the trans and change over to it but im only 16 and with limited resources to use...

I was just curious if the Throttle body is bigger and if getting also the GT MAF and upper intake tube would help performance at all? (both off of the 96 GT)

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Well, your intake tube wouldnt be any worse then his. If were a 94/95 bird then maybe you can use some parts because the 94/95s are flat intakes. Also a bigger TB doesnt do much because the intake manifold after the TB is so restrictive. So unless you are making a lot more HP then a stock tbird then they arent really said to be worth it.

The TB probably isnt any better. It probably doesnt even go in the right direction but I am not sure on that.

The MAF, forget about it. To get a MAF you should also get a chip to make it work. It just wont work properly without a chip. And it probably isnt any bigger so it wont even do anything better. For MAFs you should get a 02+ GT MAF (85mm) or a 99-00 Lighting MAF (80mm). But the same, for any other then stock MAF you need a chip or tune for it to work.

If you want to get heads worked on that is a good thing to get. Thats expensive work though and at 16 yrs probably not want you were looking for. Without getting them worked (P&P'ed) it probably wont even help. So you might want to just pass on everything if you dont get a clear yes answer on the TB. Sorry its like that. If you want cheap mods look into a chip, w/02GT-MAF, exhaust, and thinks like that. they arent cheap but cheaper then a lot of other things.

-Shawn

1 - 6 of 6 Posts