TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I normally don't start these kinds of threads but I realized recently I joined the forum ten years ago, and despite shifting interests in virtually anything else I could think of in that time, I've managed to stick with the Cougar and keep TCCoA as the first website I log into(this is about all the "social media" I could tolerate). But my tastes certainly have changed and evolved over the years, and with this rather pointless self serving occasion, it made me reflect on a few things I thought would be interesting to hear from others who have been here for several years.

A) What made your car appeal to you then vs. now?

B) What did you want out of your car when you first started vs. now?

C) What other cars did you maybe aspire to(if just for influencing said mods)?

D) Was there anything you ended up disliking? You know, in the "familiarity breeds contempt" sense? This can apply to the car itself or the changes you made, the role it currently plays for you ect. *disclaimer* this question is not to be confused with the mod you regret getting thread, I ask this question strictly as whether your tastes drifted away from something you may have loved about your car or something you did with it in the past.

E) Had you ever come close to ditching your MN12 for something else, or actually done it and come back? If so what swayed you back?

For me:

A Then) It was the closest thing you could get to a traditional American muscle car on a high school budget in a late model chassis, and being a 4.6 powered Ford in the 00s was a very appealing trait - that was arguably the peak of the 4.6 in factory terms, thus there were a lot of upgrades I could dream about

A Now) It's really become a cool old car, there's few bad examples left so instead of blending in with other dilapidated examples in so many people's eyes they actually garner an occasional compliment. In addition to that their long and low proportions are basically extinct on the streets now.

B Then) Mods! And I'll just admit it, 5.4 PI swap! 15" torque thrusts with fat RWLs and a T45 swap. Most of that rapidly evolved with TCCoA's education.

B Now) I still like it modified but I'm much less ambitious about "transforming" it, at least from where I have it. Not interested in being the fastest car on the street or envious of others with cars like that.

C Then) a As I alluded to, I loved old midsize Muscle cars, I wanted that, but as I realized most of those desires wouldn't transfer well, I also was quite smitten with New Edge and 87-93 Foxbody Mustangs and the way people modified them at the time, like using late model Cobra stuff like wheels to upgrade.

C Now) Well I still love the old stuff the most, but my preferences in later model have drifted almost completely away from Ford since the S197 came out, I quite liked the Mustangs evolution into the New Edge era and never felt it necessary to go retro in 05, and since then it's seemed more like a nostalgia toy for a much older demographic. I like the power trains mind you, but as a whole meh. Having said that, I totally dig the Challenger, it's even more retro but that's what makes it work, the only compromise is it's girth, but that's something the Mustang and Camaro awkwardly possess as well, but without actually passing for their 1970 iteration so well at a glance. How that effects the Cougar, I guess it makes me see it in a different light - the Challenger is a BIG ponycar, nobody could call the Cougar one compared to the Mustangs and Camaros in the 90s, but now, it actually seems less like a nameplate that "lost it's way" and more like accidentally forward thinking, minus the truly retro styling.

D) if there was anything I grew to dislike it's the sides. The wheel openings are too big for the wheels and tires used, yet placed too low for a larger height wheel/tire combo to fill them out without looking like a donk. Elsewhere these never really had resolved rub strips apart from early SCs, and they are literally unstyled without them affixed and clearly make the car look "modified". Every bad angle I see of these cars in pictures I can blame squarely on those because the sun either highlights the seam to the body or casts an awkward shadow onto the door. Doesn't help that virtually nothing in production before the mid 70s had them and nothing after the mid 00s had them either, so they're dated too.

I was pretty stubborn about wheel size back in the day, I was very much a "hater" to the whole big wheel revolution in the 00s and I was even skeptical about going with 17"s. Now though, every time I stare at them they look puny to me, I still like the design and finish but I know bigger would look better to me.

E) No but I will say I lost interest for a few extended periods of time, occasionally pining for something not necessarily better but easier to work on with less tools, less prone to rust, ect. Especially when I'm in the middle of costly swaps and start thinking thoughts like "you know this would all fit in a nice mustang rolling chassis... And I could probably actually make that money back selling that as a whole if I had to " I usually get out of that funk when I actually finish it though.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Before I answer anything, what would you consider a TCCoA "Lifer"? Meaning, how far back would a member have to have joined before answering your questions in the manner in which you think would be best answered.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Before I answer anything, what would you consider a TCCoA "Lifer"? Meaning, how far back would a member have to have joined before answering your questions in the manner in which you think would be best answered.
I think we know who we are. ;)

·
Super Moderator
7,476 Posts
A) My mother bought my 91 Cougar new. When I was 16, it started having issues, and had over 200k miles, and she gave it to me, on the condition that I fix it. While I always liked the car beforehand, as soon as I drove it, I really loved it. This was my first car, and up till then, I had driven a 98 Grand Marquis, an 89 Mercury Sable, an 85 Olds Delta 88, and a 96 Honda Civic, so compared to those cars, the Cougar was faster, more comfortable, handled better, and was more refined. A couple months after I got my license, I briefly considered selling the car and picking up a 73 Mustang, but after a quick test drive, I knew that what I had was much better in every way. As time has gone on, I have driven many other cars, but few live up to the combination of a well built or well maintained MN12. Plus, as you said, being part of the MN12 community is a big part of my life, and the idea of not owning an MN12 is something I really can't comprehend.

B) When I got my first Cougar, I wanted it to be the fastest thing on the road, but then again I was 17 years old. As time went on, my goals for that car have changed into wanting something fast, fun, well built, and capable of extremely illegal speeds. In the meantime though, I have owned many other MN12s ranging from stock 3.8na beaters that served no more purpose than getting me to/from work for cheap, to my built SC which was a great sleeper and was a lot of fun to embarrass newer camaros and challengers, and my MarkVIII, which if I could ever get the belt issue sorted out would be a nice combination of luxury and speed.

C) Other cars I aspire to own/build are my 70 Torino fastback, which is really a consolation car since it looks very similar to the 73 Austrailian Falcon coupe that is what I really want but is absurdly priced. I will also build a shelby cobra replica one day, but that is way down the line. I also really liked the Subaru SVX, and I owned 2 of them, but they were not very mod friendly and were not fast enough in stock form, so maybe one day I'll pick one of those up and swap an STI drivetrain into it, but that would only be after running out of other projects. I briefly wanted an 03/04 Cobra Mustang, but after driving one, while the power is great, it still rides and handles and rattles like the fox body it is, and there is no way I would spend that much money for one, so I would sooner swap the engine and trans into a MarkVIII.

D) The only thing I really hate is the driveshaft over the gas tank setup. I know the trans doesn't need to come out that often, but every time I have to drop the tank to get the driveshaft out, I curse the engineers for not coming up with something better. I also hated the SC after the first one I had was nothing but a headache, but then several years later I picked up an 89 XR7, and it was a great car, and my hatred for the SC quickly turned to a love of them.

E) I've never come close to selling my 91 Cougar. Even if I never drive the thing again, I will always own it. The past couple years has been the first time in a long time that I haven't had an MN12 or FN10 as a daily driver, and while I like my F150, and do plan on keeping that long-term as well, it ultimately is just a utilitarian vehicle, and the love I have for that truck is similar to the love people with 3 kids have for their minivan.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
I know. I just don't know if I'm grandfathered enough to answer the OP. I'd say that anyone who's been here 10+ years would be able to answer the OP, but anyone less than 10 years? If so, what range?

I guess I'm just trying to participate in something that I may not be able to participate in.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Take into consideration people like me who have not been members for a long time, but are long time MN12 owners. We can answer the same questions. I'm on my third bird since 1993, one 1980, two 1995s.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
- I got my car 2011 after begging a buddy for his tbird for YEARS to use as a platform to build a 24 Hours of Lemons track car.
- My theory was that even though it had a craptastic V6 and an auto, the tbird's combination of RWD, IRS, reliability (it was his commuter car and he owned it since new), & cheap parts pricing would allow it to dominate. It hasn't.
- When he moved back east to NJ, he decided it wasn't worth moving two cars so I became the owner of my first domestic car. Prior to this tbird, I didn't even own a single SAE tool (or very many tools to begin with other than a basic socket set and some screwdrivers/hammers).

- When I started, I wanted a faster engine and a manual.
- 6 years later, I now have a v8 (that is race proven) and a manual. The car is now quite fun.

- If I did this project over again, I'd want a car that was lighter to begin with before stripping everything out: maybe a gen 3 supra, a 240z, or a volvo 240 turbobrick.
- The problem is that all of these cars have parts that are a good deal more expensive AND being smaller, the cars are cn be a good deal less safe. We've been hit 4 times in the past 6 races and none of the suspension/cage bits have been touched (just the crumple zones being crumpled). Some of these same run-ins would have totalled our a CRX for example and probably some of the other cars above because their suspension bits are closer to the edges of the car.

D) Was there anything you ended up disliking? You know, in the "familiarity breeds contempt" sense? This can apply to the car itself or the changes you made, the role it currently plays for you ect. *disclaimer* this question is not to be confused with the mod you regret getting thread, I ask this question strictly as whether your tastes drifted away from something you may have loved about your car or something you did with it in the past.
- This car is still heavy. I don't care about braking (we kept ABS so we are still better than most of the field here) or tire wear (it's tolerable) but the car just isn't as nimble as some of it's smaller competitors. Even stripped out, I'm still at 3150LBs race ready w/ all fluids but no driver. Ideally, I'd love to end up at 2600-2700Lbs with RWD/IRS car with 220HP. Sure, an E30 could probably do that (esp with a swap) but that would suck.

E) Had you ever come close to ditching your MN12 for something else, or actually done it and come back? If so what swayed you back?
Now that I have a proven drivetrain (engine+trans), I've toyed with the idea of swapping these bits into a Merkur XR4TI to make a poor mans V8 Cossie Sierra lookalike (if you squint your eyes, close your ears, and hit your head a bit) but that requires time/effort that I don't have right now. Starting with a car that weights 2900Lbs vs 3600Lbs. I'm guessing that with the V8, I could probably get this car down to 2500Lbs if I went down this route. However, considering I have 1300+hrs into my tbird, it's gonna take a writeoff on the chassis before I consider such a move.

And even then, considering I have a full set of race spares now for a tbird, I doubt I'll make the transition.

·
Super Moderator
10,287 Posts
...I guess I'm just trying to participate in something that I may not be able to participate in.
All in it for the long haul are welcome to share! ...
I've had Lazarus since 1999; I inherited him from my Dad when he passed.

I had a 1993 Firebird auto before that, and the Cougar was incredibly better in every way. :)

In 2003, it got totaled by a chick passing over the top of a hill, as I was turning left; nice driving, that. :)

I checked out other cars, looking for something to replace it, and after a day of that bullshit, I got on the Web and found the Red Cougar. :)

Since then, they just keep breeding in the driveway, it's amazing, lol.

CDsDontBurn, you made it thru the PI swap; I'll give you credit. :)

Lazarus has the PI intake mod, 2.5" duals, the best tune I've been able to make for it, Konis, Sport springs, JL and Racecougar bracing, and a poly rear suspension.

It's a ******* blast to drive, and unless I'm in second, it's illegal anywhere. :) And probably even then, due to noise ordinances...

It's now a partially manual design; the TC is locked as soon as it leaves first, and until it goes back into first. :) IDK why, but it's been that way for two years now.

Second squeaks a bit at WOT, 3rd is fine, but I haven't had the nerve to do a wot34; It will probably drop parts on the road, lol.

I guess the one I'm building will go in there when it dies. :grin2:

I love my cars; this one's knob goes to 13!!

·
Registered
4,144 Posts

Unfortunately, sad but true.

Ive seen a lot of people I thought to be "lifers" up and walk away, i think that time will tell. Some of us are too entrenched to get out at the moment the "In it for the long haul" .. that is somebody who has done major work like replaced their transmission or engine and still owns the car years later. Im currently at 4 Tbirds, down from 7 a couple years ago. Ive worked on and driven hundreds of these cars ( MN12's and FN10's ) that are not my own. It would take me a very long time to get away from all of this. But if you remember Birdcats .. you're probably a lifer.

I cant answer all of these questions without going into a huge story. Ill just say that I bought my first Tbird in 1997 .. test drove a brand new 97 at the dealership, out of my price range, so I picked up a 1994 .. it was really a debate between buying the 96 Impala SS or the 97 V8 Tbird at the time They both felt comfortable and slightly sporty without being a sports car. You know im partial to Chevys, growing up all we had were Pontiac Trans AM, and my 73 F250 Ford which I still currently own to this day - but the sentimental value on that truck wont let me get rid of it for any reason. I sold my first Tbird, it had a lot of sentiment but by that time it was a piece ****.

The Birds are expendable, I just cant get rid of them.

·
Super Moderator
9,138 Posts
Let's see. I remember my parents having an 86 for a short time, then my mom and dad had a 93 and a 90, respectively, from the mid-late 90s for as long as either lasted (93 died due to HGs, 90 succumbed to rust) - early 2000s as I recall. A couple years without an MN12 and my dad bought the 97 I have now in 2004, which I started driving in 2006 and more or less took over completely by late 2008. He titled it over to me around 2009-2010ish since I'd done more maintenance than the car was worth to him.

Well, back then it was just "a car". I really wasn't at all interested in driving up until after I got a job post high school; I didn't get my license until after graduating. And then I really didn't care what I ended up with - I'd drive my mom's Explorer or my dad's T-bird; whatever was available. The Explorer was cool in the winter being a 4x4 and all; I remember driving it home late (well, after a closing shift at work) one night during that really heavy snow we had in the middle of February 2007, in probably 10" or 12" of snow where no plows had come through. That was fun, dare I say. For whatever reason my parents (probably mostly my dad) decided I would drive the T-bird more than the Explorer (probably because the Explorer was only a couple years old at the time, and the Bird was closer to 10) when I started commuting on my own. I really didn't start to appreciate the uniqueness of the car until I decided I needed better tires for it at the end of 2008 and signed up here for advice (right after the ball dropped on new year's eve, no less - with that stupid 'wait 3 days after signing up before you can post' policy). What sealed the deal though, I think, was that the father-in-law owned one nearly identical to mine and had/has a great fondness for the T-bird (of any year).
Now it's very much a piece of who I am, mainly because it's got the sentimental value of being my first car, the car I used to visit the wife (then girlfriend) when she was starting in undergrad, not to mention being the vehicle I cut my teeth in on regarding vehicle maintenance and such. I've got so much into it now in terms of financial/sentimental value and hours that I wouldn't possibly sell it. I've also grown so accustomed to MN12/FN10 chassis that it's all I choose to drive personally. Not to mention the lines are fantastic (esp. compared to 95% of the stuff made since).

Back then, as I mentioned above, I really didn't care so long as it got me where I wanted to go. I just wanted to be able to drive it without it creaking or rattling or making noises cars shouldn't make - so I dumped time and money in to fix every little tiny problem that ever came up.
Now it's a matter of familiarity with the chassis and predictability, I suppose you could say, that keeps me latched on. The platform has its quirks but as with any other platform - you learn to keep an eye out for the peculiarities and deal with them before they become major headaches.

My dad has owned a 76 Trans Am 455 for my whole life - it's his baby, much as the T-bird has kind of turned into mine. He's always been tearing the engine down or changing cams, cranks, pistons, the intake etc. to try out something new - which is certainly where I get my "race blood" from. I don't have a terribly keen interest in it but it does intrigue me. The T-bird is far from matching his TA from a performance standpoint (and I've never driven it ether, plus it's been probably 10 years since I've even ridden in it) though I'm sure it handles better. I dunno, it's about the only likeness I can think of. I'm not super versed in classics, lol.

In recent years I've just lost so much motivation to do anything to the cars - maintenance to mods. I identify something I need (or want) to do and it sits on the back burner for months or years before I go and do it. I think a large chunk of that comes from knowing EXACTLY what needs to happen in order for me to do what needs to be done - so I don't want to get involved. Recently I've been stocking up proper tools so that's been making work on the cars much easier, but it's still an uphill battle for me to go and do stuff. I need a high ceiling, heated garage with a lift, lol (we'll be house-shopping in a few years... :)).
Otherwise, I really haven't done anything to the car that I still don't like. About the only thing I've done that isn't really relevant anymore was the first thing I did to the car; install fog lights. I never use them anymore since the projectors throw out so much light, esp. right in front of the car where the fog lights made the most difference with factory lights. But in the whole, I usually plan out stuff I do pretty carefully so it doesn't clash with the stock cues or styles much; in fact I tell people I try to make it look like it came factory. Yeah, the wheels, the door sills... but who has to know those were aftermarket? ;)

When I was shopping for a winter car after I made the decision to keep the T-bird off the salty roads I came close to a couple FWD or 4WD options but shied away due to the infamiliarity (and lack of desire to learn) a different chassis, motor etc. In the end I just picked up a 94 3.8 Cougar which was beyond the point of saving due to preexisting rust, but was mechanically sound. I drove that until I judged the rust had progressed to a safety concern level in the event of collision, so I ditched it in favor of the Mark VIII I have now. Granted it's in MUCH better shape than the Cougar ever was, and I've made the decision to try and take proper care of it as long as possible to get the miles up on that one. I'll probably end up with another FN10 or MN12 when that one goes too.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
My T-Bird obsession started when my parents had an 87 Cougar 3.8. I used to drive it when I visited, and like the way it handled. When I decided I needed another car to supplement my AWD Talon that I drag raced regularly, I looked for a T-Bird. In 1995, I found a white 88 T-Bird with 156k miles. I drove it for 5 yrs, and put 50k on it.

In 2001 decided I needed a newer car, so I again looked for a T-Bird. I found an Opalescent 95 V8 Bird with 128k miles, fully loaded. I drove it for 15 yrs until I decided it was time for a lower mileage car.

I looked at 90's Lexus SC300's and SC400's and T-Birds last fall (can you tell I don't like newer cars?). One thing for sure, it was not going to be a white car, as I have had white cars for 20 yrs. Long story short, I bought a white 97 T-Bird V8 with only 62k miles!

I currently have my 95 for sale, but I have kept it up so nice that I am not going to just give it away. I really like the options on the car compared to my new 97.

I have kept all my Birds bone stock. I consider these cars to be luxury cruisers, especially nice on the hwy. I have a Toyota that I drag race and satisfies my need for speed.

Al

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
To continue the T-Bird discussion, although I love the MN-12 platform, there are several things I like better about the 1988 and older platform VS the MN-12:

1. The suspension is much simpler. I never replaced a single suspension part on my '88, and it had 206k miles when I sold it. On the MN-12's, you will eventually replace almost every single suspension part (some of them twice!)

2. I like the sound when you shut the door and hood (all steel!). I still get that sound when shutting the hood on our CVPI.

3. The 22 gallon tank! On a 3.8 car, you had a 500+ mile cruising range.

4. The trunk! MUCH deeper.

5. I will finish with one downside of the older platform: why on earth did they put the 5.0 in those cars if they were going to neuter it with 2.73 gears? That, combined with the tall 2.40 AOD first gear makes for a real slug.

Al

·
Super Moderator
7,476 Posts
To continue the T-Bird discussion, although I love the MN-12 platform, there are several things I like better about the 1988 and older platform VS the MN-12:

1. The suspension is much simpler. I never replaced a single suspension part on my '88, and it had 206k miles when I sold it. On the MN-12's, you will eventually replace almost every single suspension part (some of them twice!)

2. I like the sound when you shut the door and hood (all steel!). I still get that sound when shutting the hood on our CVPI.

3. The 22 gallon tank! On a 3.8 car, you had a 500+ mile cruising range.

4. The trunk! MUCH deeper.

5. I will finish with one downside of the older platform: why on earth did they put the 5.0 in those cars if they were going to neuter it with 2.73 gears? That, combined with the tall 2.40 AOD first gear makes for a real slug.

Al
Well the 5.0 in those cars was the SO, not the HO that the Mustangs and MarkVII's got, so with only 155hp, even if they put 3.27s in that car, it wouldn't have helped that much. Personally, if I was going to daily drive a 5.0 fox body car, it would get a T5 swap and a GT40 top end long before I worried about the 2.73s.

·
̇
3,702 Posts
Then:

#1 MN12
#2 Rear Wheel Drive
#3 Coupe
#4 5.0 HO
#5 Not a Mustang.. :D

Now:

The things that appeal to me now are pretty much the same, with a few exceptions.

The appeal of owning a 91 Thunderbird in this condition in Ohio..The looks the car gets when I'm actually driving it..Priceless..

Driving something different than 99% of the people I know..That's appealing too.. :)

I could really go on and on about what I find appealing about my Thunderbird..lol
Then, I wanted it to look good, and be loud!

Now, I want it to look better, and be a little bit more powerful..
Engine mods have been influenced by the 5.0 Fox/SN95 Mustangs..

The MN12 mods have been influenced by members from TCCoA/SCCoA..Not one person in general though..

I can't point to one person, and say I aspired to be like them..

D) Was there anything you ended up disliking? You know, in the "familiarity breeds contempt" sense?
This can apply to the car itself or the changes you made, the role it currently plays for you ect
*disclaimer* this question is not to be confused with the mod you regret getting thread,
I ask this question strictly as whether your tastes drifted away from something you may have loved about your car or something you did with it in the past.
Not to the point of dislike..
It's a hobby for me working on my car, so it's hard having any contempt towards the car..I tinker with it at my leisure..

Nope, never..

Cool thread.. :thumbsup:

Rayo..

·
Registered
454 Posts
Big car with a V8 in it. The fact that this is not a common car. There is a huge chance once you start modifying this to your tastes you have a car that does not have a clone of it.

Started out with a v6 with big dreams of it being a fast car for highschool....that car sat till I sold it and bought my 97 V8. My dream now is to Autocross it.

Really just wanted this car to be a handling dream with a V8
D) Was there anything you ended up disliking?
Only thing I really really dislike is my current car has the Tan interior with the patterned seats....I hate them....truly do.

Currently having a huge inner battle. I cut my racing teeth on the dirt track with a 351 powered 88 tbird. really want to race legally and living in Lincoln I live 2 miles away from were they hold the national solo tournament. Now I have no dreams of doing nationals but they hold local event all the time.

I know the bird isn't going to be competitive but I love what the car stands for and Im struggling with buy a better suited car for the track. Really between Miata or a Supercoupe. Plan now is to manual swap the bird and see what type of class it in and how bad it gets beat. I just cant bring myself to get away from the big body V8 though.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Then:

#1 MN12
#2 Rear Wheel Drive
#3 Coupe
#4 5.0 HO
#5 Not a Mustang.. :D

Now:

The things that appeal to me now are pretty much the same, with a few exceptions.

The appeal of owning a 91 Thunderbird in this condition in Ohio..The looks the car gets when I'm actually driving it..Priceless..

Driving something different than 99% of the people I know..That's appealing too.. :)

I could really go on and on about what I find appealing about my Thunderbird..lol

Then, I wanted it to look good, and be loud!

Now, I want it to look better, and be a little bit more powerful..

Engine mods have been influenced by the 5.0 Fox/SN95 Mustangs..

The MN12 mods have been influenced by members from TCCoA/SCCoA..Not one person in general though..

I can't point to one person, and say I aspired to be like them..

Not to the point of dislike..
It's a hobby for me working on my car, so it's hard having any contempt towards the car..I tinker with it at my leisure..

Nope, never..

Cool thread.. :thumbsup:

Rayo..
Thank You for speaking my mind, this is exactly how i feel about my tbird

could*n say it any better

hoschy

·
Super Moderator
10,287 Posts
I found the sweet spot on my 2.5" dual exhausts today; TG I was in 3rd, lol.

And that I loaded that 34 shift file. :)

Is a datalog admissible?

I love my cars... >:)

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
For me it started just as a better alliterative to a Sable, and just kept growing on me and now its taken the factory 20yrs to catch up to it but now the computer has to drive it for you.

Want an SC and now I have one goal now is get into the 12s

Disliking not having enough money.

Ditching? Lost my Cougar, bought SC, 5.0 "totaled" and bought it back with clean title.

·
Super Moderator
10,287 Posts
bowez, you have a damn nice SC!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts