TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just had a couple quick questions for the painters here. i've never done base/clear. at this point my experience is limited to primer and tractor enamel on farm equipment. I was just wondering when doing a base clear operation, i know you need to wet sand the primer. then do you wet sand the base before you clear to eliminate orange peel or is that strictly after clear? then what grit do you typically recommend for the sanding and what polish for the buffer? thanks alot, dave

·
Super Moderator
7,516 Posts
Ok, if you want to, you can wet-sand the base coat before clear, but it isn't absolutely necessary. Also if you do wet sand the base, it's best to give it another light coat of paint before clear, and don't wetsand that last base coat. One thing to remember about base/clear as opposed to single stage is that the paint is only there for color and the clear provides all the shine, so if the paint covers everything, you're good. The best method would be as follows
-primer
-wetsand with 400-600
-base coat and make sure everything is covered nice and evenly
-wetsand with 1000
-one more light coat of paint
-wait 15-20 minutes then clearcoat at least 2 good coats
-if needed, wetsand with 1500-2000 and buff. The finer grit you use here, the easier it will be to buff out, but the longer it will take to get everything smooth. If you know you have enough clear on there, you can start with 1000, then some 1500, then 2000, then buff it.

Mike

·
Registered
718 Posts
Never should you wetsand the basecoat! there's absolutley no need! and can cause problems with adhesion of the paint.

For a first time painter go simple.

Final sand with 320

If spraying over bare metal spray Epoxy Sealer,, if spraying over existing paint just use a Primer Sealer.

Spray 2 coats of base (3 if it has tiger stripes)

Then 3 coats of clear.

Then wetsand. If you do it right you may not even have to wetsand. Depends on the person spraying and the gun and conditions.

·
Registered
708 Posts
as for the polishing compound, I use 3M perfect it 3 with wool pad. followed by 3M Swirl Mark Remover. that stuff is awesome. use that with a black foam pad

1 - 6 of 6 Posts