TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got another 97,that seems to have unusual visuals.
Im in Texas,but the car came out of Cal.I bought it from a flipper who was down on his luck,so I got it for a decent price.
I have watched some of the conversations here about whats a sport and what isnt.
So what I have is the 4.6 ,with leather int.4 wheel disc but no trac control.Its got 4 wheel discs,a aftermarket sunroof,but whats odd at least to me is it has gold trim on the trunk and the grill bird emblem area.
It also has the graphics kit w/spoiler
I tried to do a oasis report thru ford buts it to old ,so I figured maybe someone here might be able to tell me ,if this was alimited cal.deal or just someone who decided to dress it up.
Oh,its got chrome 15in wheels.
I think this is the nicest one I have owned,and for me its low miles 130k.
Any imput would be appreciated
And I know its not like a Mopar where you can decode off a vin,but figured there might be something I could look for?
Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
Is it Cougar or T-bird?
My Cougar was a Bostonian and had the gold effects for the luggage rack and vinyl roof trim. I have also seen other versions such as the Caliente, Gold edition Cougar which was only made in 96-97, and other regional editions. I know here in Florida alot of the dealers offered Special editions that they modified in house. An older neighbor of mine has this one that is like the Key West or Palm Beach edition or something.
I also see it with Grand Marquis all the time with the fake convertible roof, or some weird badging I have never seen offered any where else.
My guess is that they would have done something similar to that with the Thunderbird also. Some kind of limited edition as I have also seen a few with the gold accents rolling around the Tampa Bay area.

·
Super Moderator
16,990 Posts
Could be a limited edition

Where are the stripes, are they on the insets on the mouldings? if so what color are they? do they say limited edition in the decal on the 1/4 panel moulding?

The gold emblems are a dealer thing

Is there a red emblem on the front fenders that says limited edition?

Sport models used different springs (jjjj on the core support tag identifies that), different shocks, larger brakes, and the spoiler. Not all of those came with the sport model, its hit and miss, if yours has the chrome fanblades you have the regular brakes.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its aThunderbird.No stripes.no emblems.Like I said its got the gold trim on the bird area in the grill,and on the trunk deck.
Im not 100% convinced the wheels are stock either.I know you could get them,but they seem out of place?
Like I said ,I wasnt sure if it was a Cal.dealer option with gold,and its not ghetto type,it all looks factory...and it does set lower then normal birds.
Not trying to confuse,just trying to get an idea of whats factory and what was dealer?

·
Super Moderator
9,262 Posts
I do know the sport models have larger front rotors. If your front rotors are bigger than your rears... might be sport.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Are the wheels chrome fanblade type wheels or aftermarket? Does the center cap have a thunderbird emblem on it? Best way to check if it is a sport is the spring code, JJJJ, on a tag on one of the front springs. Id say all the add ons and stuff was just an in house dealer special to get them sold.

·
5,650 Posts
I do know the sport models have larger front rotors. If your front rotors are bigger than your rears... might be sport.
Every front rotor is bigger than the rear, sport or not. The front sport rotor is bigger than the standard front rotor.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes they are the chrome fanblades.The gold trim I was referring to is scripted on deck lid but also in the center of the tail light lens.
I cant imagine a dealer doing all that as a incentive,sun roof,graphics etc,just to make a sale.
But maybe its a ca. deal,dont know.Thats why I was checking.
I really like the car,like I said its third one Ive owned,but this is the sweetest.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They look like the super coupe,runs from frt to rear wheels and the rear bumper is similar,but has a opening in the center of it.Frt bumper is stock

1 - 10 of 10 Posts