TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where are the bolts to take off the fan? And... do I have to do this... "On automatic transmission cars, the engine must be held from turning by holding the torque converter. The torque converter can be accessed by removing a plug towards the front-drivers side of the transmission. (Consult a service manual for more information). Hold the torque converter from turning with a 14mm wrench."

I'm installing Steeda Pulleys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,983 Posts
The torque converter? I didnt have to do that when I put mine on. I did take out the fan though to get room in there. There should be a bolt on the top on each side. I believe the bottom was just clips. If you take out the two bolts and then lift out and up it should come out. It can be done with the radiator hose in place but you must pull the hose aside and sort of slide the fan out.
good luck
-Shawn
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I'll need to borrow a pulley puller and impact wrench from AutoZone... any other tools I might need? Wait, with the Steeda kit, do I even need a pulley puller? Oh, and does anyone know how much AutoZone will charge to borrow those?
 

·
Automatic Weapon
Joined
·
1,219 Posts
You don't touch the torque converter when changing the pulleys and yes you will need the pulley puller, if I remember correctly Steeda replaces the stock crank pulley so you have to use the puller to get the stock crank pulley off.

Have fun, it took me about an hour to do.

Big-Al
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I guess I'll need to rent an impact wrench, torque wrench, and a pulley puller. All I need is a CC you say?

BTW, Al, did you need to relocate your fan for the install, or is there enough space?

BTW, I'll do a step by step how-to on the install. :) Any tips on reinstalling the serpentine belt? Any tools I might need to do it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,983 Posts
I went and bought a pulley puller ($13). When I was there and drove there in a different car I brought my tbirds alt and the U/D pulley for that and asked them to swap that out (Free!). $13 isnt that bad to get a new tool in the box and finish the U/D mod.

-Shawn
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Big-Al said:
You don't touch the torque converter when changing the pulleys and yes you will need the pulley puller, if I remember correctly Steeda replaces the stock crank pulley so you have to use the puller to get the stock crank pulley off.

Have fun, it took me about an hour to do.

Big-Al
If I don't hold on to the torque converter bolt, wouldn't the crank move when I screw off the bolt?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,983 Posts
http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/pull1.htm : This is a great step by step to follow. I put my pulleys in and took out the fan. It was like 2 bolts and then 2 clips that you just pull the fan up and its out. You have to work it around the radiator hose on top (or take it off). I dont think you "have to" take out the fan but there is just so much more room in their. and if using a impact wrench then it would be needed to fit it in there.
My crank pulley was takin off with a impact wrench and I didnt need to hold anywhere else. The force of the impact wrench will just pull it right off. I tried and tried without the impact wrench and I know its possible. But I couldnt get mine to turn without it turning the engine. It takes all of like 20 minutes with a impact wrench. If you have a friend or someone that has one see if you can use theirs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Shawn40th said:
http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/pull1.htm : This is a great step by step to follow. I put my pulleys in and took out the fan. It was like 2 bolts and then 2 clips that you just pull the fan up and its out. You have to work it around the radiator hose on top (or take it off). I dont think you "have to" take out the fan but there is just so much more room in their. and if using a impact wrench then it would be needed to fit it in there.
My crank pulley was takin off with a impact wrench and I didnt need to hold anywhere else. The force of the impact wrench will just pull it right off. I tried and tried without the impact wrench and I know its possible. But I couldnt get mine to turn without it turning the engine. It takes all of like 20 minutes with a impact wrench. If you have a friend or someone that has one see if you can use theirs.
That one is done on a manual transmission, and doesn't mention anything about the TQ.
 

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
Joined
·
11,719 Posts
WaLieN said:


That one is done on a manual transmission, and doesn't mention anything about the TQ.
WaLieN said:


If I don't hold on to the torque converter bolt, wouldn't the crank move when I screw off the bolt?
Your wrench will break or you'll strip the bolt before you EVER turn the TQ.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
GreenBird said:




Your wrench will break or you'll strip the bolt before you EVER turn the TQ.
Oh, ok. About the tensioneer pulley and remove the serpentine belt... do I put a fat open wrench in the little box slot, and pull down? Or do I turn it to the left?
 

·
Automatic Weapon
Joined
·
1,219 Posts
use a 1 inch ratchet and put the ratchet end in the square opening on the arm of the tensioner and pull down. This will move the tensioner down and losen the belt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,983 Posts
If im correct the square is ment for a breaker bar or a large ratchet without the socket on there. You can use other things but it is just so easy with something like the breaker bar (If you dont have one a large ratchet will work fine).

-Shawn
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Man, do I hate my Chiltons manual. It says to loosen bolts before pusing the tens. pulley down.... or is it just retarded?
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
8,239 Posts
Push the tensioner down with a 1/2 inch breaker bar with no socket on it, the square breaker bar fits on the square on the tensioner. This will loosen the belt, remove the belt, then remove your pullies.

JH

WaLieN said:
Man, do I hate my Chiltons manual. It says to loosen bolts before pusing the tens. pulley down.... or is it just retarded?
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top