TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
I had one - gave it a two-week trial, then returned it. You'll figure out the rest...

·
Registered
291 Posts
There is nothing but positive results that can come from an IC fan. You will not see a HP gain, nor will you feel the car any faster. However, you know those days when it is really hot outside and your car runs like a bag of $hit.......the IC fan will aid in the power loss.

So once again, you will not gain HP from the fan, but you will not lose as much power on those really hot days. Get one, it's well worth it for $65.00.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Check out this info from Magnum Power's website concerning IC Fans:

IC FAN INFO

Thomas

·
Registered
437 Posts
With my mods & a single IC, I was hitting the knock sensor HARD starting at 3K. I borrowed a DIC w/ fan for awhile. Ran it w/o the fan for a while. Big improvement over the SIC, but still felt like it was hitting the knock sensor. Then I hooked up the fan & felt a BIG change. The car would rev higher & didn't fall down when doing so. I don't see any down side from the IC fan. When it comes to IC fans, I say, "the bigger, the better"!!!!!!

68COUGAR

·
Registered
437 Posts
Probably not. But a single 10" will work. I've seen one DIC w/10". The guy who built the DIC, fabbed air dams to keep the fan from sucking air from around the outside of the DIC. Air Dams would be easy to draft & pretty easy to make & install. Also, you can get 10" fans with more CFM than 8" fans.

68COUGAR

·
Registered
437 Posts
You could use dual fans if you oriented them as one pusher & one puller. I think most fans are puller fans. Course they would overlap in the center, but I don't see that causing any problem. I don't think anybody has ever done a push/pull fan system before. It sounds like it might be worth exploring though. My complaint with a single 8" fan, is that it leaves a lot of the IC uncooled. 2 fans would provide much more cooled area than one 8" or 10".

68COUGAR

·
Registered
369 Posts
Believe me, it has been done before. And most fans you can just reverse the leads to spin the motor the other way. Might want to check if your fan is blowing the right way?
-Julian

·
Registered
369 Posts
Ya, I just bought a 800cfm 8" and a $2 relay from radioshack when I put mine on.
MN12's wiring harness did look nice though.
Still don't have the ic in yet.
-Julian

·
Registered
157 Posts
My experiance:

I did not want to waste money on the MN12 kit (flows a poor 400CFM) or the one from SuperCoupePerformance--(same exact fan I got but alot higher price). I bought 2 8" Fans from Summit. Jegs also has them too.

The model number is: Perma-Cool 19128 8" Fan--some have used the 10" model # 19120 (this one flows 900CFM)

Jegs--Perma Cool 8" Fan--$58.99
Perma Cool 10" Fan-$59.99

If you go with 10" get this one from Jegs: 778-67010 10"--Flows 1000 CFM and its only $63.99

I did not go with 10" because I was not sure it would fit in my application, but as I said others have had them fit.

I mounted one behind the IC as a puller and then mounted another one in front of the IC as a pusher. Most of the fans come as a pusher so I had to take the motor out of the fan and then replace it backwards (this was in the installation instructions) I then wired the fan to a 12v source when the key was in the ignition. This way it would be on when the car was on, or if I wanted to let it sit and cool I just need to turn the key to the accessory position.

As was said before its not a "seat of the pants" mod, but it def. helps cool the intercooler a little more. I also set up a water sprayer to help it even more.. :)

Hope this helps, and hey get a Fan!!!

Later,
Drew

·
Registered
437 Posts
Re: Water Sprayer

I think alcohol would cool the IC more, but not sure how it would affect the fan motors. Just a thought.

68COUGAR

1 - 15 of 15 Posts