TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a simple, and extremely cheap way to get rid of the 3rd cat and put a Y pipe in it's place? possibly with flex hose or something?

I'm not asking for performance reasons, I'm in need of some cash and the only thing I can possibly think of is to take my 3rd cat to scrap yard for a few dollars. I'm trying to figure out the easiest way to remove it and put a Y in it's place since I can't drop the entire system and would only like to spend a few hours getting it done.

am I nuts?

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
How much $ will you get for it? Then take out the money you spend on exhaust pieces from Crappy Tire LOL, and is it worth it? Seriously I don't think it's worth it but I'm curious as to what the converter would be worth, it couldn't be that much. If you're that hard up for money, I'd say list some personal household items on kijiji before hacking off a part that's not so easy to replace...

·
Boost!!!
814 Posts
they are small converters, i got 33 bucks a piece for mine when i did my exhaust on my old bird. I wouldn't take it out for the reason you listed, but to each his own. you would spend more on a y-pipe, and flex tubing than the converter is worth anyway.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How much $ will you get for it? Then take out the money you spend on exhaust pieces from Crappy Tire LOL, and is it worth it? Seriously I don't think it's worth it but I'm curious as to what the converter would be worth, it couldn't be that much. If you're that hard up for money, I'd say list some personal household items on kijiji before hacking off a part that's not so easy to replace...
I took all 3 in from a previous cougar and got $187 for them. you get more if they are OEM, and I got more for the third one than the two singles because it was a bit bigger.

I think I'd get close to $80 for it. I was going to use some flex tube so I could clamp it on since I can't weld all the way around the pipe while it's on the car.
I found a couple of small flex pieces meant for a short section that would have been perfect but they wanted $67 for each one. O_O

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Dude, just sell some junk laying around the house... easier, cheaper, replaceable...

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Why not sell something you dont need .. like an extra Kidney or something ?

Sell your soul or first born. :D

·
Registered
82 Posts
My third cat is in the landfill as of last week. Oops.

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
No one will even buy a cat from you here because of people stealing too many of them. I remember hearing a few dealers lots got all their cats taken.

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
That or they'll give you so little for them it barely covers the gas to get to the scrapper.
Actually people have sold them on craigslist and some guy who buys them all very cheap takes them all out of the valley here and goes elsewhere and sells them. SO yeah not worth the drive even. I scrapped a bunch of junk I had laying around or found like scrap metal and made 20 bucks. I did it to get rid of junk not turn a huge profit. I in fact did it for gas money and to clear up my spaces within the dwelling here. I know cans are still the way to go or even cardboard if you have a huge truck to fill it with.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Local guys on Craigslist here pay $35-40 each for the stock pre-cats, the 3rd one a little more. Aftermarket cats are only worth $7.00 each.

The guy I talked to said they load up a semi-truck trailer full of them, haul them to a smelter in Texas once a year and net about $250,000 afterwards.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts