TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys. I'm FINALLY looking at my 96 Tbird to get it running again. The car is still at my parents place so I'm limited on the times that I can get over here to get it going. Here's what I'm looking at and what I found

96 4.6L Dealer installed alarm that is turned off.

Car has been sitting for over 2 years now.
It was started almost every 2 weeks after my parents parked it, then it stopped starting.
Put in a new battery, still does not start which leads me to today....

Battery was fully charged and reads 11.63 volts. Cleaned terminals good.
Lead wire(and ground) to the Relay box was cleaned. Lead wire reads 11.53 volts...

I turn the key, hear the fuel pump prime(watch the clock go out on the dash while cranking) and I hear nothing. No click, no nothing.

Jacked up the car had someone turn the key so I can test the volts at the starter. Nothing(well it was like .43v but did not change with turning the key). Relay is good

I checked out the positive and negative cables and they both look to be in good shape.

Do you think this could be the ignition switch on the column? I'm going to test it but I'm not sure what to do if it tests good. Any suggestions?? I want to get this thing running again because I have the intake to replace and this is going to be my DD.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Don't even have ~12 volts on the high amp/big gauge wire at the starter? If you do, jump that to the trigger to see if you get something. While you should use a remote trigger like device, crossing it with a screw driver works, that is how I turn mine over to find the TC drain.

A fully charged new battery with 11.63 volts? That isn't very healthy, promising.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Will your headlights dim/turn off when you turn the key to start? If so, the battery is bad (discharged) or there is a bad connection somewhere (also bad starter/locked engine). If the lights dont respond to turning the key to start, something is interrupting the starter signal circuit. Hope this helps
-Rob

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the responses guys.

The battery was a new one about 6 months ago. I threw it on the charger for a little bit today and that's why it wasnt 12v+.

I had the battery on, and tested the volts at the blue/red line off of the ignition switch(which I thought is the one going to the engine controls) and it read 9.13v while turning the key.

I didnt think to turn the lights on when starting the car. I'm going back to my parents tomorrow so I'll give that a shot. I'm also going to bring my jumper cables just to see if it needs a little "extra persuasion".

Also this does not have the remote starter solenoid. It's connected to the starter. If I cant get it started tomorrow I'm going to see if I can jump the terminals to it and see if that helps.

I REALLY want to hear this run tomorrow. It was my parents old car(original owner) and my father really wants to see it running and driving again.

·
Registered
245 Posts
One time with my 95 Mustang, I tried to start it and then everything went dead, including the dome light. I started taking the terminals off the battery and whala, one of the posts came OFF with the terminal. LOL. The post was corroded from inside the batt. But since you say your batt is 6 months old, this may not be the case.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Definately not the case. The lights in the car work fine and the power seat/windows/locks and alarm work fine, but it wont crank. When I turn the key, the lights stay on the dash, but the clock goes out which I believe is normal. The lights have never gone out and stayed out if that helps any. Also on the volt gauge(I know not to trust them but.........), it only reads about a little more than the 8 volt line. Probibly like 9 volts. If I'm missing something here let me know as I'm going back there tomorrow morning and would like to get it running then.

·
Registered
245 Posts
does your alarm have a valet mode? The alarm may not be letting the starter work.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I had the same sorta thing happen to me with my car last year right around this time... ignition switch changed over and worked like a charm.... for 2 days.mechanic had to rig some wire over the tranny to the starter. unfortunately they are not in business anymore but the car has worked fine ever since GL with yours I would do the ignition switch first.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
does your alarm have a valet mode? The alarm may not be letting the starter work.
The alarm does have a valet mode and it is on that(I made sure to turn the switch back and forth trying to start it). I really dont think it has anything to do with the alarm.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know that I need a fully charged battery, however I have cranked cars(or even just got a click from the starter) with batteries that have ~10v. I should hear something at least.

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
Or maybe not. Charge that battery to 12.4+ volts and check your battery ground connection. Don't trust the dash volt gauge, it's vague at best.

Charge the battery for a few hours, bring it up to 12.4-12.5 volts, jump start it, and I bet it'll kick over.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Or maybe not. Charge that battery to 12.4+ volts and check your battery ground connection. Don't trust the dash volt gauge, it's vague at best.

Charge the battery for a few hours, bring it up to 12.4-12.5 volts, jump start it, and I bet it'll kick over.
Not if the Ignition Switch looks worst than this.

-Maic

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for that picture. The next time I'm up there I'm going to take the ignition switch out and take a look at it. It's only like $20 so if that's the problem I'll be happy.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Thanks for that picture. The next time I'm up there I'm going to take the ignition switch out and take a look at it. It's only like $20 so if that's the problem I'll be happy.
You have to dill the Switch to get it open. May just buy a new one before you go up there and keep the Receipt.

-Maic

·
Registered
245 Posts
If there is no voltage to the trigger wire on the solenoid then you probably have an ignition switch problem..you can totally just jump the solenoid to get it started and back home. I installed a push button starter switch with a hidden kill switch because it looks cool and because the little black ring around the ignition had broken and I've heard of keys breaking off in there. Now to start it I have to turn the key on and kame sure the switch is on and then press my cool starter button.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well the part should be here Tuesday. I should have spent the extra money and got it from the store but I got parts for my other car too and it saved me money. I hope this is the problem, and getting more info from my mother(previous original owner) she was having problems with the ignition before it was parked as well. Sometimes it worked no problems, other times it would not start.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got the part and am headed to my parents place tomorrow(unless it rains) to put the ignition switch in. Any other suggestions just in case this is not the case? Battery is already on the charger to get a nice full charge on it. I'm hoping to hear it run tomorrow!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts