TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
anyone have any advice on how to get cheap horses,bolt on, chips, kits maybe bore it out not sure on how much I should bore it? what's the results you got from your mods? I need quicker acceleration for suck a heavy car and what chip do I need to take that annoying governor off :confused:

·
Super Moderator
13,029 Posts
anyone have any advice on how to get cheap horses,bolt on, chips, kits maybe bore it out not sure on how much I should bore it? what's the results you got from your mods? I need quicker acceleration for suck a heavy car and what chip do I need to take that annoying governor off :confused:
Nope. Sorry, can't help you there ... There is no such thing as cheap horsepower.

What's your budget and what resources do you have to get it done?

Do you know a good mechanic?

Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Mod note: Moved to Newbie Forum

Reactions: Grog6

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,692 Posts
:gotsearch

There are nearly infinite combinations for such things, all dependent on nearly infinite factors. Do some reading through the newbie and 4.6 subforums for ideas and real-world experience/advice.

A better question you should be searching for the answer to is "What are the common maintenance items that should be addressed before attempting performance mods?"

Hint: Ball joints. Brakes. Transmission.

An extra 20 HP isn't going to do you any good if the money you spent on it that could have gone to lower ball joints - didn't go to lower ball joints - and you find yourself off the side of the road somewhere with a separated LCA. Or a transmission that won't shift into any forward gears...

And by the sound of it - with stock brakes - you really shouldn't be going any faster than "that annoying governor" permits you to be going. Especially if you're not talking about doing it on a track, which is easily how your motives can be interpreted.......

·
Super Moderator
9,692 Posts
Yeah, but you don't really drive your car anywhere. :tongue:

Reactions: Grog6

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Cheapest way to increase acceleration on your car: make it lighter by gutting it.
Your drive won't be as pleasant with no interior, heat, windows, glass, etc. but it will be faster.

Cheapest (practical) way to increase acceleration would be to replace the gears in the rear diff.

After these two options, things will very likely get more expensive.
-g

·
Registered
46 Posts
Make sure it's running properly first. Not much for horse but cheap is to pull the air silencer, some people port the MAF housing. Doubt it will be anywhere close to seat of the pants difference. There is the Jmod which makes it shift nicer, fairly cheap but some find it scary. It's not all that cheap but lower gears might give you the kick in the pants you want. Just search the site.

·
Super Moderator
9,692 Posts
some people port the MAF housing.
Do NOT do this! It skews the MAF transfer function, which will cause a) improper fuel delivery in open loop (e.g. high throttle position or immediately after startup) and improper spark delivery/load calculations. In short, it's bad.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well like s4gunn said, weight reduction is pretty easy and effective. First off I would go to your local mechanic and ask him how much it would be to remove your transmission, because the T-Birds dont use them since we use whats called a kanoot pipe that runs from the engine to the rear wheels, but the government said they still had to have one because of emissions or something, so I bet if he's nice, he will take it out for ya for not too much and theres an easy 100lb loss right there, then maybe look into removing your seats and stuff and just using a bolted down bucket, a bucket is way lighter than a seat! I currently use this setup and shaved off a second in the quarter!

·
Super Moderator
13,029 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,023 Posts
Upgrade the Brakes before you even think of removing the speed limiter. :)

Y'all are defaming this whole Kannuter valve thing; it's a rare mod, that done correctly lets you feed the hot exhaust gas to the intake, using the boost in velocity caused by the previous combustion as a booster for the next cycle.

You can Obviously see that the fuel injected needs to be carefully controlled to keep the reaction under control, to prevent a Runaway Horsepower Event.

A backpack style leafblower suprecharger mod works really well with this intake setup.

:)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts