·
Super Moderator
13,027 Posts
You mean like this ... ?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Buy a horse...:tongue:

Cheap wise would be to center on the air intake and remove the silencer. That's free. Another freebie for me was cutting the air cleaner housing up. Mine is the square type with an upper and lower plastic part that holds the air filter. I cut most of the dirty side of the housing away exposing the dirty side of my air cleaner to open air. This helps the motor breathe more easy and your fuel system can compensate for more air and its free. You will want to change air filters more often.

Smaller diameter tires the next time you buy will improve acceleration by changing the gearing. The change will be minor but it may also save a few bucks over the cost of larger tires. I'm not suggesting the California low rider look but you will definitely lose acceleration if you buy larger diameter tires.

Next might be exhaust changes. Any thing you remove from the exhaust piping will improve breathing in general. However, most parts are there to comply with Federal laws. You could have problems with Johnny Law if you remove too much here for air and noise pollution.

·
Super Moderator
5,262 Posts
GordonM1 - One thing to keep in mind - if you expose the lower end to the engine bay, you'll be more prone to sucking in warmer air, which isn't as conducive to power production (and therefore not as conducive to fuel economy in non-WOT situations).

OTOH, using a new, clean air filter will improve fuel mileage a LOT more than just pulling the silencer will *grins*

RwP

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,955 Posts
Any gains from intake tract modifications before the throttle(and often including that too) tend to be the result of their junk effectively replacing a filthy stock air filter. Hence why the aftermarket often advertises with the vague "gain 5-10 horsepower" claim for everything :tongue:

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,692 Posts
Actually a dirty air filter won't affect fuel mileage, but it will affect peak air intake volume and maximum power...

·
Registered
410 Posts
In all seriousness, the easiest way to gain power is just to keep your car in good condition. Change the fuel filter when you get it, that can easily free up lost ponies since it will restrict flow. Fresh oil/Filter change, new air filter,don't go with a K&N, people swear by them but i don't, they do "flow" better but do not filter as well. It's simple science, better flow means you are filtering less. New plugs and wires, as well as running some injector cleaner through will get your car up on tip-top performance. I am not sure injector cleaner actually does anything, might just be a placebo effect. Spend money on bringing the chassis back to stock/better than stock, replace parts that are worn out, invest in a J mod and a transmission cooler, put in 3.55 gears. And you will have a car that will be bullet proof. If you got a 1996/1997 invest in a replacement intake manifold for the vehicle, either a NPI version or a PI, either one will be fine, PI will give you a bit of power over NPI but is not as simple to install.

Remember, it is a nearly 2 ton car with a 1990s V8 engine, if you improve the handling of the vehicle you will be able to go faster around curves and have more fun.

·
Super Moderator
13,027 Posts
In all seriousness, the easiest way to gain power is just to keep your car in good condition. Change the fuel filter when you get it, that can easily free up lost ponies since it will restrict flow. Fresh oil/Filter change, new air filter,don't go with a K&N, people swear by them but i don't, they do "flow" better but do not filter as well. It's simple science, better flow means you are filtering less. New plugs and wires, as well as running some injector cleaner through will get your car up on tip-top performance. I am not sure injector cleaner actually does anything, might just be a placebo effect. Spend money on bringing the chassis back to stock/better than stock, replace parts that are worn out, invest in a J mod and a transmission cooler, put in 3.55 gears. And you will have a car that will be bullet proof. If you got a 1996/1997 invest in a replacement intake manifold for the vehicle, either a NPI version or a PI, either one will be fine, PI will give you a bit of power over NPI but is not as simple to install.

Remember, it is a nearly 2 ton car with a 1990s V8 engine, if you improve the handling of the vehicle you will be able to go faster around curves and have more fun.
Good advice. As far as cleaning the injectors, the only injector cleaner that's widely approved around here is Seafoam and you can just drop a can of that in the gas tank to help clean the fuel system. That's the simplest thing to do.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Ralph I cut away most of the lower half of the air filter box. This leaves the square filter exposed to open air. Same as original but its not tunneled and choked through the silencer. It still lays down the same and now there is only the oval hole in the sheet metal below the air filter. Some day I may make that oval hole bigger. Hey it was free and I can go back to stock with a spare bottom half for the filter box in storage.

Having had freer flowing exhaust in the past I think I can say the exhaust is the current restriction now.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Good advice. As far as cleaning the injectors, the only injector cleaner that's widely approved around here is Seafoam and you can just drop a can of that in the gas tank to help clean the fuel system. That's the simplest thing to do.
I use B12 Chemtool or Seafoam, depending on my mood. I normally fill with Exxon fuel, as they are the cheapest near me. May switch to Speedway due to their rewards program, they just started to move in and replace Hess.

These cars do have design flaws that you have to keep up on, 1996/1997 the intake manifolds crack, 1989-1997 the Transmission has issues due to excessive slippage on the automatic. Various other things you will want to take care of will be in various tech articles and in stickies.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,955 Posts
Ralph I cut away most of the lower half of the air filter box. This leaves the square filter exposed to open air. Same as original but its not tunneled and choked through the silencer. It still lays down the same and now there is only the oval hole in the sheet metal below the air filter. Some day I may make that oval hole bigger. Hey it was free and I can go back to stock with a spare bottom half for the filter box in storage.

Having had freer flowing exhaust in the past I think I can say the exhaust is the current restriction now.
So just to be sure I'm envisioning this right, you cut away most of the lower box, leaving just enough of the area that surrounds the filter to hold it in place presumably? With that setup, as Ralph said, you're sucking in more hot engine bay air.

The box isn't a restriction, it's design as intended is to seal it to that oval hole, and pull cooler air from the inner fender/bumper cover area which is essentially all fresh outside air. Hacking apart the bottom of the airbox breaks that seal, allowing the majority of the hot engine bay air to enter the engine. Little if any cool air is now going to magically enter through the oval hole in the sheet metal like that as there's now no negative pressure from the intake anymore, so even if you hack the hole bigger(which I highly recommend you don't) you still won't see any gains. Speaking of gains, pulling the silencer primarily increases intake noise, that's the fun allure to it when we all start modding our cars but it's actual performance gains are negligible to nonexistent. Intake tract restrictions really don't become a factor until you've got an engine that really pulls a ton of air, and a bolt on N/A 5.0 or 4.6 just isn't it.

Exhaust is a much better place to concentrate on, especially on the 5.0, it aint free but done properly it aint a placebo either.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Matt:

Get a replacement bottom half to your square air filter box and try it. More of them are left behind in junk yards than almost all other parts (ok maybe there's more wheel lug nuts in the dirt). In theory it looked like a way cooler air source than a cone filter in the engine bay and it helped a bunch. This way most of the air comes from the oval hole or outside the engine bay. Let that baby breathe.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Dirthouse how is the noise? I would have at least routed it to the passenger side. It looks like you are ready for more hardcore mods like programs, fuel pumps, slick tires, 42 lb fuel injectors etc.
Maybe get a "get out of jail free" card too. Have fun.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Dirthouse how is the noise? I would have at least routed it to the passenger side. It looks like you are ready for more hardcore mods like programs, fuel pumps, slick tires, 42 lb fuel injectors etc.
Maybe get a "get out of jail free" card too. Have fun.
Haha, no worries about the jail, cops here in Estonia are more interested what kind of a car it is than what's wrong with the exhaust 8) The sound is just awsome, I love it. First I did it without this metal jar filled with fireproof rockwool and it was way too loud, than I made lot's of holes in pipes, rolled it with rockwool and a casing from a B4 AUDI which btw fits like it was there and the sounds & looks like this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bg0j-U8arJM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri5l7iLg5EY

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
^^ I love the flames going out the side of your car :)

21 - 40 of 44 Posts