TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on the 97 cougar 8.8 with IRS suspension.
Will the standard ford posi units fit?
The bronco/f-150/ mustang gt units with 28 spines are pretty cheap on e-bay.
Do i need the unit with the ABS ring?
How about gears? same question any 8.8 gear or are they special for the IRS rear with antilock?
I was thinking of either 3:55 or 3:89 posi to go with the SCT unit i'm ordering this week. Figured I get it programed for the new gear ratio right off.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
I think you have to machine the sides of the gears to allow them to fit in the IRS correctly. Not too sure about the rest though.

Jay

·
Baby Huey
3,210 Posts
1. yes the tlocs will fit with correct side gears(or machined)
2. Do you have ABS?
3. have fun :D

·
Super Moderator
10,903 Posts
IMHO, the machining is to make the circlips seat; not for clearance, or anything.

The circlips hold the axles in, but there's not much retaining force there.

I think you need special tools to get the thing in/out... I looked into this last spring; That's why I still have a single-burner on the red car...

dirtydog is probably the one to ask to know for sure.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I haven't seen Bronco/F-150/Explorer carriers with 28 spline gears. Not saying they don't exist. The 31 splines also have a larger cross shaft that won't take the 28 spline gears.

The abs rings on a tbird are on the axles. No, you don't need an abs ring.

If you want cheap don't buy a diff that needs the gears machined. Check the price of a new loaded traclok carrier from Ford and then use your judgement. Also check out the auburn, ect..

I'm considering selling my new and unused torsen t2. Probably not a good diff for a drag car though. Thought the traclok was going out one day when it did a 'one wheel peel' getting on the highway with loose gravel on one side. Went to buy carbon clutches and they gave me a deal on the t2. Funny... I have ALWAYS left 2 black marks ever since:rolleyes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts