TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's early, sorry guys, but i have a quick question.

In the summer time, when the car has been sitting overnight, the radiator should be full to the top of the opening right? Cause the coolant goes to the rad when the car is cool, and when the car gets hot after being driven or turned on, the coolant goes to the reservoir....am i right?

Thanks
BeirutsFinest

·
Administrator
8,694 Posts
Coolant will go back to the reservoir if the engine overheats also. It's drawn from the reservoir as needed. Then returns when the engine cools down.

Joe

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I woke up and....

yeterday i checked my rad in the morning after my car was sitting overnight, i saw that the coolant in the rad was not all the way up to the top of the opening, it was about 3 inches lower, is this normal after a car has been sitting?

Thanks
Beirutsfinest

·
Administrator
8,694 Posts
I got you message

:D You have mail!

Joe

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did...

Ok, Joe, I had already topped the coolant level off in the reservoir yesterday after i checked it, but i topped it off when the car was on and hot(i usually do when it's cool). Anyway as i went to check it today after it sat overnight, the level of the coolant in the rad was all the way to the top of the opening, and the reservoir was up to the cold line....I have checked for leaks numerous times, and neither I or the mechanicS or my father could ever fnd a leak anywhere. I'm just trying to figure out if this was why My temp gauge went to high twice after being on a highway as i posted earlier.

Thanks
BeirutsFinest

·
Administrator
8,694 Posts
Those levels sound good to me, that's pretty much where they should be. Keep an eye on them, check them again when it cools off later. Do you think maybe there was a problem w/ the gauge? Just a thought.

Joe

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Problem with Gauge...

Well i thought about that, and i really doubt it was a problem with the gauge,

The first time it got hot was at 5:30 am, I was coming back from the shore, and i had been driving for an hour. There was nobody on the road except one guy who kept on drying to blow right by me, thinking his car was impressive, well anyway, i was doing 100mph on and off for about 20 minutes, a couple of times i hit 110mph, and after coming to a stop at a toll booth, i was pulling away, and my check gauges light flashed for a second, and i saw my temp was up (halfway between M in Norm and H), so i slowed down.

I later pulled into a lot and reved the engine to see if i could get the needle in the gauge to do it again (get it halfway between M and H), well I did. So i popped the hood, and the reservoir tank filled with coolant up to the Hot level. However, the next time i checked was when it happened the second time, and when i popped the hood then, The coolant was low...below the cold line. ( both times it happened after slowing down from a highway, but the second time, I was only doing 70 mph)

Puzzling isn't it?
Let me know what you think please.

Thanks
BeirutsFinest

1 - 7 of 7 Posts