TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I've been toying with the idea of turning my slightly wrecked t-bird into a drift car. As it sits, it has the 3.8 6 in it. What needs to be changed to get a 4.6L from a 95 bird in there? Just swap everything from one car to the other? (harness ecu etc..) Is it easier to transplant a 4.6 from a 96-97?

If this is a dead repost topic, (i did search but nothing really came up with the answers i was looking for) please kindly just link me to where it is. Thanks!

·
5,650 Posts
You need to transfer the engine, transmission, driveshaft, differential, crossmember, exhaust, power steering lines, A/C components (if using it, which is unlikely), radiator, front springs, main engine harness, computer, and computer harness. If you use the harness from a 95, you will need to repin them where they plug into the dash. Otherwise a 96/97 harness will be a direct swap.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what I was looking for. The idea is, (only an idea at the moment) is to just use a healthy 4.6 stock while im still learning and then can go for more power down the road, mated to a t-45 5 speed, and have the car entirely gutted. The car was wrecked and airbags blown out, so odds are i wont be putting tags on it anytime soon. Too much of a pain. So it will be more than less an essentials only car.

Now if it's a 96-97 4.6, do all the things listed still need to be changed over also? Suspension stuff im aware of, but things such as the crossmember and such?

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
if your going to go through with this swap why waste your time putting a stock setup in there? just put an explorer motor in it.

·
5,650 Posts
Thats what I was looking for. The idea is, (only an idea at the moment) is to just use a healthy 4.6 stock while im still learning and then can go for more power down the road, mated to a t-45 5 speed, and have the car entirely gutted. The car was wrecked and airbags blown out, so odds are i wont be putting tags on it anytime soon. Too much of a pain. So it will be more than less an essentials only car.

Now if it's a 96-97 4.6, do all the things listed still need to be changed over also? Suspension stuff im aware of, but things such as the crossmember and such?
Yes. The wiring is the only thing that is year specific. The rest needs to be changed because the components are different between the 2 motors.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts