TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright,

It's a 1997 LX sport. When it's in gear and I'm idle I can hear this tapping sound. I can't tell where it's from. It goes back and forth between tapping kind of slow and then tapping a bunch of times really quickly. I can only hear at idle, I suppose it could still be happening while I'm driving but I can't hear it if it is. Any ideas?

It's got 135,500 miles on it. It had a tune up within the last 5,000 miles.

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
bust out a long screw driver and pop the hood, put the handle end to your ear and put the tip end on various parts of the engine.... could be a lifter.... could be an exhaust leak

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmm.

I've been searching around here a lot today. Slow day at work. I think I'm going to seafoam and go from there because I also have a rough idle problem.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The injector ticking noise is usually there on 4.6 t-birds, I hear that in my car, especially when it is cold. I don't know why it would be speeding up though. You should see if you can try and hear it under the hood with a friend holding the brake and having the car in gear. If it is injector tick, then I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
right on.

Yeah, I'm not sure what the heck it is. I've only recently delved into the realm of cars. Pretty much since I found this site actually. I'm doing most of my learning on the fly. My dad told me not to worry about it, but he seems to be too unconcerned about car related things. He always tells me it's nothing, I always find out it's something. :rolleyes:

I'm hoping he's right this time. haha. I'm sticking with the seafoam and see what happens plan.

·
Super Moderator
10,591 Posts
An easy way to see if one cylinder is the problem is to use a timing light; hook it to each plug in succession, and see which one is coincident to the light and the knock.

Don't try to use one of the timing lights that goes in series with the plug; that won't work for our cars. You need the inductive pickup kind. :)

Since we also have injectors for each cylinder, you could use a 'noid light, it's just more hassle.

If one cylinder is actually knocking, that is really bad, and it only gets worse. And more expensive.

An oil change will usually show metal if an engine is damaged to where it's making noise. Do an oil change. Pour the oil carefully thru a Clean "shop rag" filter, and see what's left.

A few sparkles is nothing to worry about, IMHO; but chunks are obvious... :)

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
An easy way to see if one cylinder is the problem is to use a timing light; hook it to each plug in succession, and see which one is coincident to the light and the knock.

Don't try to use one of the timing lights that goes in series with the plug; that won't work for our cars. You need the inductive pickup kind. :)

Since we also have injectors for each cylinder, you could use a 'noid light, it's just more hassle.

If one cylinder is actually knocking, that is really bad, and it only gets worse. And more expensive.

An oil change will usually show metal if an engine is damaged to where it's making noise. Do an oil change. Pour the oil carefully thru a Clean "shop rag" filter, and see what's left.

A few sparkles is nothing to worry about, IMHO; but chunks are obvious... :)
Alright that's good to know. I'll check it when I change my oil. I'm hoping I can do it tomorrow, was going for today, but it's raining. No garage access for the lose.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah,

After Reading around other threads with similar sounds, I think it may be an exhaust leak. I still haven't gotten to sea foam and change my oil though, stupid weather. Hopefully I can do it on Saturday.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts