TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been getting cooper weathermasters for winter tires for years now due to the dealer (price + convenience). I've been looking at other tires just for S&G and was curious as to people's opinion on the cooper brand. I'm looking at getting some blizzak's instead. Anybody has any comments?

oh btw, this is going on my focus, not tbird.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I've been getting cooper weathermasters for winter tires for years now due to the dealer (price + convenience). I've been looking at other tires just for S&G and was curious as to people's opinion on the cooper brand. I'm looking at getting some blizzak's instead. Anybody has any comments?

oh btw, this is going on my focus, not tbird.
Blizzaks are great!

Mitch

·
Banned
2,185 Posts
i hear coopers are great but i love Hercules tires- the "polar tracks" are gonski but have been replaced by avalanches- also very good. cheep and grip like a moffukka

·
Registered
130 Posts
96 Sport winter tires

I've been using Firestone Winterforce on all four corners for the last couple of years.
They work very well in the Ohio snow so I'm happy with them, however if you are having success with the Coopers I'd stick with them.
American company, hopefully U.S. made. I may try them after these wear out.
Unfortunately I didn't have good luck with Cooper Zeons

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I have good luck with them, but I really don't know because I never used another winter tire. The cooper's really look like they grip in the snow with the aggressive pattern. But I know looks mean 0 since the blizzak's look like a all season tire. The other part of the story that I forgot to tell is that I can get the cooper for $81 mounted and balanced (i believe thats tax included). The blizzak's would be $96 and I'd be getting them online so I'll have to take them to the shop to get them mounted. But the $96 includes the mount and balance.

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,803 Posts
I have heard good things about the BFG Traction T/As . Going to put some on the wife's car

·
Registered
573 Posts
With a Winter tire you want to go with a skinny profile tire. A trac-lock differential is also a big improvement. On dry pavement, fat with no tread groove is best - Nascar style. On wet you need tread grooving to displace the water under the tire so you don't hydroplane. On snow, you need a skinny tire with the outside perimeter (called lugs) to be wide and deep. Less rubber to the road will actually create better traction in bad weather. Kind of like a jeep tire. If you get a big fat winter tire with a lot of rubber on the road you will look pretty stupid going down the road sideways. Winter weather is where front wheel drive got it's reputation for selling cars. It pulls the car, the rear follows. The car stays straight. Rear wheel drive pushes the car, and when the rear wheels are spinning faster than the fronts, you have a big ooops! weather it's on the drag strip with 1000 HP or on the the road with 3" of snow, it's the same problem. Putting weight in the trunk of a rear wheel helps when you are going up hill, but going down hill you need to go slow. With our cars it's best just to stay home and watch the weather on TV instead of driving in it.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Best winter tires I have seen in use are by Nokian & Hankook...Imagine that though....These dudes in Finland build an awesome snow tire...Yea, makes sense huh?? Nordics makin snow tires...;)

Nokian RSI HAKKA or HAKKA-5 Pinned w/studs
Hankook W409 or Icebear 300

Cheers

Brad

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
I"ve used the Blizzacks (two types) and they S**ked. Never again. For snow they are fine, but for packed hard snow and ice, nothing beats studded snows. I grew up with my Dad using them. I've been using the Weathermasters, (first the "I"'s, now the "II"'s) for years. First on a Probe, then a 2000 Mustang, then my T'bird. They are very good tires. I have a set of four (all studded) on my '91 tracer LTS which has become my winter beater. The car goes anywheres! I can come to a complete stop on shear ice on an incline, and start going back up the hill (I had to once and it did it!). My sister likes them too :D. I've not used the higher end tires because they are "expensive". But for me, the Cooper Weathermaster II "studded" snow tire is hard to beat at any price. And yes, a slightly taller, thinner tire is much better for snow and ice traction.

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,803 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
LOL Cool I wonder what year that is form
'63 or '64 I think. I know they made them in the '50s before and even as late as 1980 my department purchased them for winter use at officer's desire on our police cars. I last saw them in a order book at the local Exxon about 10 years ago. They were good snow tires, better in later years as rubber compound improved I'm sure.

Didn't know if still available as winters haven't been bad enough in years to worry about getting snow tires, but it was a ritual back before then. :)

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
i roll with these khumos
khumo tire

they where rated decent all weather, which is what i needed when i go to the mountains for snowboarding and what not.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Maybe I should get studs. In PA, they are legal from November 1st to April 15th. My thinking is, one insurance deductible would have paid for a whole set of tires, so why not get what you need? I have the Blizzaks for now, however. Maybe next year I will sell them and get studded tires. I haven't really tested them too much, though ... the snow has been light so far.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Maybe I should get studs. In PA, they are legal from November 1st to April 15th. My thinking is, one insurance deductible would have paid for a whole set of tires, so why not get what you need? I have the Blizzaks for now, however. Maybe next year I will sell them and get studded tires. I haven't really tested them too much, though ... the snow has been light so far.
I feel more comfortable with studs and a bag or two of sand in the trunk on my tbird than a 4X4 suv. You get an excellent handling advantage, and it is stuck like glue to the ground. When an 4wd truc starts to slide its usually impossible to recover, and they roll when they hit the side of the road.

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
Zack, I'll second the recomendation for the Winterforce tires. I've had no problem with them on the car. This year I've got them all the way around. Last 2 years I just had them on the rear. They are studable, too. Check the price. Mine were $75 mounted and balanced.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts