TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '94 SC has a problem that when you turn the steering wheel all the way to one side, it will GREATLY lower the RPM's, sometimes even kill the motor. A local shop guy said that when you turn the wheel all the way over, you send the computer a signal to crank up RPM's becasue your going into "Full Lock", and maybe my computers not getting that signal???? Thats what he said, any thoughts???

·
Registered
437 Posts
No clue sorry. Mine did that till I put in a new pump and then it went away. But if any one knows, maybe I can fix my mustang from doing it lol. Justin

·
Registered
620 Posts
Does it do this when the car is just sitting and you turn the wheel, or does it happen when driving? Is it an automatic? Automatics had a problem where their transmission pans were too shallow and when you turn hard, the tranny would suck up air. Ford updated the pans in 96 to fix this problem.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Only happens when I'm just sitting there. It's an Automatic '94 SC w/ 120,xxx miles.

·
Registered
437 Posts
HHHthegame said:
A local shop guy said that when you turn the wheel all the way over, you send the computer a signal to crank up RPM's becasue your going into "Full Lock"
Sounds to me like your "Expert" is blowing smoke up your A$$!!!!! Ask your "Expert" to show you the computer connection on the front steering. That should be worth a few laughs!!!!!

When the wheel steering wheel is at lock, your pwr. steering pump is producing the most pressure, & therefore will use up more hp from the engine. Since the pump is using more hp, it will tend to slow the idle somewhat. Power steering pumps have do that, at least as far back as 1968.

68COUGAR

·
Registered
30 Posts
I don't know why it would die man.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts