TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all , just bought a 97 bird 4.6 v8 with 36000 miles on it , feels kind of sluggish off the line , would a chip take care of that . other than that what a great ride . thanks

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Some shorter (numerically higher) gears, or a higher stall TC would help. A chip would help also, but the gears or TC would be most effective.

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Greenbird took the words out of my mouth. The gears and TC will make it feel like a totally different car and the chip will only accent that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the reply . so if i go with maybe 355 gears that will make a nice difference?and do i need anything else besides a cooler and speedo . also , what would figure a shop would charge for something like that ? thanks . any other tips for this vehicle is very welcome.

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
3.55s will make a nice difference in town and still be good for highway.

3.73s will make a nicer difference both in town and on the highway, but not the best choice if you do a lot of highway travel.

4.10s if you want to get really hairy in town and do very little highway duty.

You can expect generally $300-500 labor for a gear install with the pumpkin in the car due to the fact that they have to remove the pumpkin. Shops make a killing on gear install labor.

·
11,719 Posts
AverageJoe said:
You can expect generally $300-500 labor for a gear install with the pumpkin in the car due to the fact that they have to remove the pumpkin. Shops make a killing on gear install labor.
and with the gears costing $130 to $200, it becomes a better deal to buy the FRPP pumpkin.

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
GreenBird said:

and with the gears costing $130 to $200, it becomes a better deal to buy the FRPP pumpkin.
Yes indeed, unless you're dead set on 3.55s or 4.10s

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I would add a J-mod to that mix if you can swing it... it won't help you get off the line, but it'll make your 1-2 and 2-3 shifts snappier. When you upgrade the TC and gears and start to feel that power off the line, you'll want to feel it when you upshift. The J-mod will help you to feel that power all the way through the gears...

Just a suggestion from a guy that always wants more.....

·
Registered
109 Posts
AverageJoe said:
3.55s will make a nice difference in town and still be good for highway.

3.73s will make a nicer difference both in town and on the highway, but not the best choice if you do a lot of highway travel.

4.10s if you want to get really hairy in town and do very little highway duty.

What do u mean by nicer difference and still b good for highway etc.. How exactly do 3.73s effect ure ride

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
Generally speaking, the lower number the gear is, the less performance oriented it is. By the same token your engine will have a lower operating speed on the highway with a numerically lower gear.

Your engine will turn less RPMs with 3.55s than 3.73s than 4.10s. 4.10s are more performance oriented than 3.73s and than 3.55s.

The numerically higher the gear, the lower your top speed and the sooner you reach driveline critical speed.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
The kind of performance they are talking about is not better gas mileage and less engine noise and lower highway engine speeds.

3.73 gears "out-perform" 3.55's in terms of better launch and acceleration from dead stop to top end. Highway gas mileage decreases as the numbers get higher with 3.08 giving the highest mileage and 4.30 the worst. While the difference in gas mileage is significant between the 3.08 and the 3.73.. it is not so significant between the 3.55 and the 3.73, but the difference is performance is.

The 3.73 pumpkin they are recommending as being a more economical way to change gears also has an aluminum housing for less weight and heat retention, and it will actuall cost less to do the pumpkin swap than to buy the gears and pay the labor for the swap, 'cause putting diffential gears in is not something you want to do your self, unless you know what you are doing, but the pumpkin swap is a breeze...

Choices like this always depend on an individual's goals. How "unsluggish do you want it to be, compared to what down sides there may be." 3.55 is a good middle of the road choice, but will cost more to do... 3.73 is a more 'radical' change (but not real radical) cheaper to do (generally speaking), higher performing (as described above), but you will decrease your highway gas mileage, have a bit more engine noise when you drive and your engine will be running at higher rpm to attain the same speeds... also with the 3.73, you're top speed will be lower, but don't worry about that, you'll never see top speed anyway... without a chip, you won't see over 105mph, and anything over that is dangerous without some other upgrades....

·
Registered
493 Posts
What years came with 3.55s stock? According to the gear list, I have X - 3.55's with trac-lok (but the trac-lok is burnt out).

94' LX 3.8 here.

·
Registered
294 Posts
To give you an idea, driveline critical speed with 3:73's and stock tire diameter turns out just over 80 mph. Without a chip you won't be able to go over that. You really shouldn't go over that without a lightweight driveshaft anyway. The big dif is that you will be able to get to top end in about 1/4 mile after the change.
BMan

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
Vegeta99 said:
What years came with 3.55s stock? According to the gear list, I have X - 3.55's with trac-lok (but the trac-lok is burnt out).

94' LX 3.8 here.
A 3.55 locker is a K code, not X. If you have X I would guess that it is a 3.27 TL. No MN12 came with stock 3.55s.

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
And the 3.27 codes for MN12s are E and XE. Mine's an E, I don't know why there's two codes for the same setup but there seems to be. Oh well...

·
11,719 Posts
Palmguy said:
The numerically higher the gear, the lower your top speed and the sooner you reach driveline critical speed.
Not true. an mn12 will reach a higher top speed with 3.73s than 3.27s.

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
AverageJoe said:
And the 3.27 codes for MN12s are E and XE. Mine's an E, I don't know why there's two codes for the same setup but there seems to be. Oh well...
yea mine is XE, i always wondered why they used 2 different codes.

Frank

1 - 20 of 22 Posts