TCCoA Forums banner

Well, didja quit?

• Nope. Still smoking. Want to quit, though.

Votes: 5 10.4%
  • Still smoking and always will.

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • Tried to quit, but didn't.

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • Tried to quit, and did.

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • I don't smoke at all.

Votes: 24 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm 17. I've been smoking for 3 years.

THen I realized, holy ****. I'm paying $3.45 per day for some unhealthy (if enjoyable) habit. Time to quit. My car smells like **** to everyone but smokers.

I made one attempt before, but girlfriend trouble ended that.

Two weeks ago I set the date - Wednesday, December 3, as my quit date. That's the end of Thanksgiving break. I'll have energy to deal with it, and something to do (school). If this attempt doesn't work, I've got a prescription for Zyban, but it's not cheap ($120 for the treatment, not covered by insurance).

So who here's quit? Who here's tried? Any tips?

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
How much do you smoke a day? A whole pack? Set a limit for yourself, so many cigs a day. 24 to a pack, limit yourself to 12-16 cigs a day for a week or so and step yourself down. When you can make a pack last nearly a week or more, let it run out and just don't buy any more. Hang away from smoker friends during that cold turkey time and it'll make it a bit easier. Cold turkey straight up ain't easy, but for some, its the only way.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Staying away from the smokers isn't easy. Whole house smokes, so does everyone at work :/

I also tried sloping down, but I'd end up smoking the same amount just to keep from stale cigarettes. I don't work at all this week, so I can stay away from them.

Too bad I dont have any money to do some car projects :/

But yeah, a whole pack a day. That's enough nicotine to kill a person, and probably enough tar to pave a 1"x1" square :p

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Try snuff to get rid of the craving for cigarettes, but pick some that you don't really like the way it tastes, that way you don't just switch bad habits like I did.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
My advice.

Just quit. :D Either you want to or you dont. Why waste the energy if your only half way decided in your mind.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Key issue is your head, if you really want to quit you will, if you don't you'll find a reason/excuse to smoke, at least I did. The Zyban will only help with the physical symptoms... that said once I'd decided I'd had enough Zyban did it for me. It provided the crutch I needed to go from 3 packs a day to nuttin' in one day. Been >3 years since I had a smoke. My insurance paid for it though.... Not to say I still don't crave them, just able to resist them now.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
try carrying gum. When you need a cig or others are smoking just chew some gum instead. You can also try toothpicks. Just carry them around and same thing, when you need one or are around others just put a toothpick in your mouth. That basically lets you have something in your mouth but not a smoke. I know that doesnt work for everyone. It can probably just help a little.

You gotta want to do it. Think about this, one pack a day for a whole year at $3.65 per pack is $1259.25 a year. Put that number in your wallet so that when you go to get money to pay for the smokes you see that. Just think about what the car mods, the movies or music, or whatever you are into that, that money can buy.

good luck

·
Registered
65 Posts
Speaking from my experiance....i'm now 25 and i started smoking when i was about 12 (no kidding). I was able to quit about 2 years ago when one of the sweetest people i ever knew died of cancer. I was there the whole time to see her go from a perfectly healthy appearing person to death within' 6 months. It was one of the saddest times of my life and you'd think i'd of smoked more....but i saw what it does to a person. At that time i still did keep smoking but i just cut down. Then shortly after she died my mother was in a very bad car accident and allmost died...while in the hospital she was feeling pretty bad and i knew if i quit smoking it'd make her feel better....so i just quit..no patches...no gum...nothing. And it worked...it made her happy. And 2 years later...i'm happy.:)

·
Registered
965 Posts
I started when I was 12, quit when I was 24 and have been smoke free for 9 years. I used the "Step down" program that Average Joe mentioned and it worked like a charm..... But I REALLY wanted to quite. For the first 2 weeks after quiting I detoxed hard... shakes and everything. :boom:

·
Registered
686 Posts
I said tried to quit and did, but i havent completely quit yet. But id say pretty dang close, i can easily go days w/o a smoke. I only really want one when im drinking, so i been cutting back on that as well, which definetely isnt a bad thing. I used those quest cigarrettes, i got to the second step and didnt even both with the 3rd becuase it was pointless.

I did my own step down before that, gradually working down the number of smokes i had per day to 1 or 2 (from 1 - 2 packs) then stepping down the types: camel wides> camel lights > camel ultra lights > quest 1 > quest 2. And now i smoke nasty cigars (just cuz they are nasty and make me wanna quit mroe lol) but only when i drink and thats only like once in a week or two.

Greg

·
Banned
194 Posts
QUITTERS NEVER WIN!!

kidding, i smoked for 2 years and quit cold turkey after having a talk with my sister about it. cold turkey, a month now. all my friends smoke and its been i can honestly say easy.
best of luck if you do, just don't think about it and do it.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
I keep looking at this post tonight and it hasnt changed, and I realize this, but not beofore I look at it. FIne, I'll reply. I occasionally smoke cigars, not much though, I probably shouldnt do it, but I do.

·
Registered
686 Posts
jordansypek said:
cold turkey, only way....
I did that the first time, i quit for 6 months NP except for the first couple weeks. At the time i had some friends that were real jerk offs i hadnt been hanging out with them mcuh tho because id been studying a lot for school. Well anyhow they would do stuff like "oh man this cigarrette is SO good, sure you dont want one?" . Stupid peer pressure lol...after the first time i was not able to quit cold turkey again, i tried...but could not do it.

Greg

·
Moderator, Red Sox Nation Rabid Fan, TCCoAAC Found
3,165 Posts
GregK said:

I did that the first time, i quit for 6 months NP except for the first couple weeks. At the time i had some friends that were real jerk offs i hadnt been hanging out with them mcuh tho because id been studying a lot for school. Well anyhow they would do stuff like "oh man this cigarrette is SO good, sure you dont want one?" . Stupid peer pressure lol...after the first time i was not able to quit cold turkey again, i tried...but could not do it.

Greg
Yeah friends are great.... It's all upstairs man.... just gotta do what you gotta do, mind over matter

·
Registered
686 Posts
jordansypek said:

Yeah friends are great.... It's all upstairs man.... just gotta do what you gotta do, mind over matter
Yea i think it also had to do with how things were going for me after i started smoking again. I was not happy with a lot of things back then and what better way to cure depression than with a depressant lol.

This time im not gonna loose tho. Ive been doing fine not smoking and when i need one i make my self do something useful. Like yesterday i modded my computer case lol...better than smoking :D And for my "friends" i dont hang out with them anymore, took me 5 years to realize how stupid i was to hang out with them.

Greg

1 - 20 of 29 Posts