·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator
10,398 Posts
You beat me to it, SD. :)

He was also known as the Father of the Mustang.

I remember him best as the frontman at Chrysler, as my Mom had a Cordoba with the "Fine Corinthian Leather" interior. :)

He was the last of an era, for sure.

RIP, Lee!

·
Super Moderator
16,819 Posts
Not the original 55s but arguably the Thunderbird as we know it , ie midsized personal luxury, which started in 1977, was a product of his tenure.

The interesting thing with him is his biggest talent was turning **** into diamonds that the public ate up. The Falcon was a terrible car, but managed to nip tuck it into what would become almost a full lineup of cars by the end of the decade, inventing in the process huge segments that exist to this day(ponycars and midsize). As awful as K cars are to remember he did the same with those, morphing the dorky Aries/Reliant into everything from the first convertible revivals, to the Minivan to the Chrysler limousine(dont google it, it’ll diminish this praise lol). Whatever can be said about the products themselves with hindsight can’t refute the success he had with them, he had his pulse on the public conscious throughout his career in a way most other car industry big wigs since inception could never claim.

You beat me to it, SD. :)

He was also known as the Father of the Mustang.

I remember him best as the frontman at Chrysler, as my Mom had a Cordoba with the "Fine Corinthian Leather" interior. :)

He was the last of an era, for sure.

RIP, Lee!
The Cordoba came way before Lido, his legacy at Chrysler really started with the K car program.

·
Administrator
8,008 Posts
94, God love him!

Reading through the article, he had quite a career. If I remember correctly, Carroll Shelby came out to help him at Chrysler because Iacocca gave him a break when he was at Ford.

RIP Lee!

Joe

·
Super Moderator
11,908 Posts
This story was the first thing that caught my eye this morning when I logged on to check the latest news.

Great Obituary/article Brian, thanks for sharing.

RIP Lee.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts