TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Amateur Expert
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of us knew it was coming...

The demise of Lorain Assembly

I have the actual newspaper article and it has many pics of cars that were once assembled at Lorain. It also has another related article on an entire family that has worked there for a combined total of over 200 years. I will try and scan them and post in this thread soon.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
thats so sad. i feel for all those people losing their jobs.

·
Registered
488 Posts
But on a lighter note Honda,just down the road aways, just bumped up production another 200 cars a day...........Just doesn't seem right.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Good article. Good mix of stats, people, and other interesting stuff. Will be said that the sticker on my windshield wont represent a current place of Ford. Lets all have a moment of silence next time we see that oval on the window of our cars.

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
That just sucks. Kinda sad to see all these factories shutting down.

BTW, is there a way that I could procure another one or two of the Lorain decals for my car. Mine is starting to come off.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I hate to see it go myself. But you have to think. It is an old factory that is making the same full size van (which are not such great sellers) that another factory is making. I feel bad for those loosing their jobs, hopefully for the ones that were there for a while Ford will give them an early retirement so they won't loose benifits.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Well, the Honda plant is Marysville, Ohio is advertizing that they are hiring another 200 workers because of the demand for the Civic Hybrid....

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
lightevergreenfrost said:
I hate to see it go myself. But you have to think. It is an old factory that is making the same full size van (which are not such great sellers) that another factory is making. ...
Actually they are selling, people just don't realize it. You don't see a lot of the real nice Chateaus (do they still use that term?) but Ford is outselling EVERYONE else in the E-150 to E-350 Cargo vans. Lots of fleet sales. My dad makes a living buying the used ones from large corporations and selling them to smaller businesses. He has very few folks come in and want Chevies or Dodges, but LOTS of guys want the Big White E-Vans. (I call them White Elephants).

Business is slow now (always is this time of year. Small business owners turn to buying gifts for family instead of new vans for the company) But in the early spring and summer dad can't get enough of of them. We often have to drive to Florida, Georgia, Iowa, or Illinois to get them.

But it is sad to see the plant shut down.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I agree, but due to the high rollover rates many churches and schools are having to go to school bus/dual rear wheel vans to keep insurance down, and that is a fairly large part of the business. As for other businesses there is a demand for them, just not enough to justify having two factories going. Especially one that has to have the bodies delivered from the other plant. It just does not seem very economical to me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts