TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after 2 years down im tossing the bird. :( i sold 5.0 out of it to the guy that towed the car for me. im saving the trans cause it is new. i was gonna save it for panels but i even figured screw that. so its off the junkyard in the sky for my poor old bird. ive missed it almost every day since my cousin broke it. so i figure next income tax i will get another 5.0 or even a supercoupe and let someone that knows what they are doing work on it. now for some pics........
day or 2 after i bought it......

at a wedding......

with super coupe wheels...........

thought i was getting it fixed a couple times

so really everyone told me it was too much money and not worth it. i wanted to slowly restore it really. this really sucks.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
So what happened to make you junk it?

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the rear went out. i had a tooth from a spider gear lodged so that it was like a mini spool. so my cousin (who went to wyo tech) said we can easily change the rears. we got a parts car and work began, he wanted to change the whole cradle out. well its held in by 4 bolts. he twisted off 3 of the 4 bolts. the very last one came right out. i was from shop to shop and to ford even. everyone said it was a pain or not worth it. my mechanic began work but just stopped. i even had a good track lock rear. i just wish i would have takin it to a shop before my cousin ruined it for me. a guy that builds race mustangs said he would do it too. he came and got it last summer.......

that is the very last time i saw it. work never really began. im thinkin about saving the trunk lid and tail lights. i like the 92 and up tails a lot better. but if anyone knows where i can get a cheap 5.0 bird that needs a trans, that would be cool! :tongue:

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
well i think you just did a bad thing. you have to cut open the body to get at the nuts but its worthit the car looked decent , you let it go to the yard with all the gfx on it ? its a shame your so far i woulda helped you fix it

·
Super Moderator
7,479 Posts
Where in PA are you? I want those ground effects before you send it to the scrap yard. Also do you still have that raised hood in the first pic?

Mike

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MadMikeyL said:
Where in PA are you? I want those ground effects before you send it to the scrap yard. Also do you still have that raised hood in the first pic?

Mike
the front is a little rough but the sides and rear are fine. i was thinkin about pulling them off but i am not sure. if i take stuff off to sell you guys will be the first to know.

·
Super Moderator
7,479 Posts
I don't care if the front is a little rough. Where in PA are you? I am in NJ and if it isn't too far of a drive I could probably come out there to get the parts and I would also be willing to help you strip the car to sell other stuff if you want. Let me know.

Mike

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
jk89cat said:
well i think you just did a bad thing. you have to cut open the body to get at the nuts but its worthit the car looked decent , you let it go to the yard with all the gfx on it ? its a shame your so far i woulda helped you fix it
Where exactly would you have to cut to get the to the nuts? I was thinking of taking my subframe off as well. You mean through the trunk and back seat?

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MadMikeyL said:
I don't care if the front is a little rough. Where in PA are you? I am in NJ and if it isn't too far of a drive I could probably come out there to get the parts and I would also be willing to help you strip the car to sell other stuff if you want. Let me know.

Mike
sorry i didnt answer you the first time. here is what google says.....
http://www.google.com/maps?q=Milton,+PA&sa=X&oi=map&ct=image
i am not 100% sure what i am selling yet though. i pretty much just made my decision and sold the motor. dont worry what i know so will you.

·
Super Moderator
7,479 Posts
Ok, looks like about a 3 hour drive for me. If you do decide to part out the car, I could come up on a sunday morning and we could strip the thing down to a shell.

Mike

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
MadMikeyL said:
Ok, looks like about a 3 hour drive for me. If you do decide to part out the car, I could come up on a sunday morning and we could strip the thing down to a shell.

Mike
whos bringin the bud light? :D
anyway that sounds good. i just have to see when the dude wants it out of there. he said he was cleanin up his area.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
David_viny said:
Where exactly would you have to cut to get the to the nuts? I was thinking of taking my subframe off as well. You mean through the trunk and back seat?
if your taking down the cradle and you have this problem of the bolts spinning and or breaking, , you have to cut windows in the unibody above the bolts to get at them . i have seen 3 cars done this way . and they just cut little panels to cover the holes and screw and or wld them back in.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
yea that is an issue, but nothign that cant be overcame

·
Hittin' Switches
1,484 Posts
thunderbirdlver said:
i really wanted to but everyone said it was not worth it. the people that said it was would not help me.

i really hate that you did that man.

i had people telling me the same thing when my car was sitting in about 3 gallons of oil in the middle of my driveway and my shocks falling off.

tons of people, mechanics, etc told me to scrap what i could, part off what i could and just cut my losses, and i almost did, but i just kept doin what i do and now its great. sorry to hear about that man..

-=---Matt Musto

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
At what cost though? I think they were just trying to give you economically sound advise while you on the other hand were more interested in saving the car regardless of cost.

I'm not familiar with how difficult it is to get to the subframe bolts but it sounds like it's just one of those things thats a real PITA and nobody wants to do it for what they feel they could reasonably charge. Or they just don't want to take on a basket case that someone else already screwed up by doing the job wrong. I can't help but wonder how hard is it to get 4 big messed up bolts out and replace them. Is the unibody all chewed up around them by now or something that makes this a hopeless basket case? Why is cutting access holes like jkcat89 said a problem?

Would a big holesaw not make a nice access port without any corners that might lead to stress risers causing the unibody to start cracking later on? It doesn't seem like it would of cost very much to try it before just scraping the car out...

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i would have payed anything to get the car going again. the 5.0 was strong and didnt smoke. in fact it ran fine just the other day. the radiator did split though during the cold snap. but for me when it comes to cars, im not worried about the money. but nothing was chewed. the bolts snapped at that was pretty much it. im still mad at my cousin. he has a barn of muscle cars and is restoring a trans am. thought he knew his stuff. heres the new project in fact....

but i mean seriously there was one person that still says i should have fixed it. but he would not help. all it really needed was the broken bolts fixed in the unibody and new rear bushings. it did need the usual new struts but thats cause they were getting old. but my mechanic had it ready to drill with a hole saw through the trunk lid but never did it. he wanted it out of the way. then when i had it towed the guy looked at it and it sounded like he was gonna fix it. nope he did the same thing to me. i just got tired of getting my hopes up and towing it place to place. i just dont get why nobody could get serious about it. i even wanted to get my hands dirty in the project. its been a few years and i still miss it. :(

1 - 20 of 61 Posts