TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the track today and was a little frustrated. I could not hook at all. I dont know whether it was the track or what but no one was hooking today.

I have ran a best 60 foot of 1.78 at around 2000 DA with a best of 13.54 in the quarter.

I have since lost 225 pounds minimum off of the car. It seems now that i cant hook at all. My best 60 foot today at 2900 DA was a 1.87. My setup is this

almost 90 thousand miles on car
pi motor with all the bolt ons
3550 race weight
lowering springs all around
tokico blue shocks
3800 stall
373 gears
28x9x15 hoosier slicks (a year and a half old)
Dual airbags in back. (no idea the pressure)

What do i need to do to get my 60 foots back down? I wanted to add nitrous but i dont even want to imagine the wheel hop i am going to have then. The track doesnt hook so its up to me to optimize my suspension setup.

So JL, Kdanner, 1MTNCAT, and anyone else running low 13's at least...what are you doing?

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so stock springs and what shocks do you recommend JL? Thanks for the advice... I knew it was coming lol.

·
3,232 Posts
so stock springs and what shocks do you recommend JL? Thanks for the advice... I knew it was coming lol.
I run stock '97 Sport springs and a set of Bilsteins. I do have a pair of bags in the rear springs to help dampen shock on launch, and I run them between 12psi and 25 psi depending on track conditions.
JL

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have air bags in the back also. Do you have less air for sticky tracks and more for poorly prepped tracks or do you just experiment?

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
I ran a high 13, with a 1.88 60', but my suspensions consits of:
~car quest shocks in the rear
~stock springs in the rear with 2 coils cut off each
~QA1 coil over's up front.
~no front sway bar
~I run 26x8.5x15 slicks.
~4.10 track lock.
~3,150 race weight

We'll see this summer if it still hooks with more power and even less weight.

·
3,232 Posts
i have air bags in the back also. Do you have less air for sticky tracks and more for poorly prepped tracks or do you just experiment?
I typically keep them at 25 psi to help dampen the "shock" from launch and to keep the springs from "bouncing" the tires and losing traction.
JL

·
Like Titles Matter
2,129 Posts
I ran v6 springs. It will sit a hair lower and have more rise in the front at launch since the spring will have more stored energy.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks kdanner. Im thinking v6 springs might be nice since i want more weight transfer but also would like the little bit lower it sits. My car has lost a lot of weight already and even with 2 inch drop springs it still has huge wheel well gap.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
yeah pull your front sway bar. Someone beat me to that up top. I pulled mine from my mustang and have never put it back in. But its lowered with after market control arms and a few other goodies. The suspension is really tight so I don't have any body roll w/o the front sway bar. I'm doing any autocross either LOL

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I want to but i think you have to drop the k member to get it off. That and i drive this car everyday so i cant afford to lose control because of a lack of swaybar.

·
West Virginia Chapter Director /, MA Drag Race Te
2,643 Posts
I run stock '97 Sport springs and a set of Bilsteins. I do have a pair of bags in the rear springs to help dampen shock on launch, and I run them between 12psi and 25 psi depending on track conditions.
JL
KD & JL and these guys know what to run. My set up is pretty much identical to theirs. Lowering springs and such suck on these cars when it comes to launching it on the track. The bag pressures you will have to work with to see what works best on your car and its set up. And like they both have said it may vary from track to track and track conditions day to day. After doing it for sometime you'll figure it out if you note it and collect the data.

You should be pulling somewhere in the very low to mid 1.8's consistantly.

Something else to keep in mind, if this is the first runs on the track for the season then generally traction is going to suck for a week or two till they get some fresh rubber down on the surface. Its just a fact of life all of us mid to northern racers have to deal with every spring along with cold track surfaces.

Even if you make the power if you can't hook it, its not going to matter much. When it does start hooking it thats when you'll see the improvments if the car is right.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
went over it a little here last summer... http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=112759

but as far as my suspension stuff goes, its the QA1 coilovers in front, stock rear shocks and H&R lowering springs with airbags in the rear. stock swaybars and everything else

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the heads up guys. I guess i should look into new springs. I will likely just sell my lowering springs and buy new ones.

The track prep did suck so i know thats part of it. THey wouldnt spray vht at all so no one was hooking. I would just like to optimize what i can do on my end.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
I want to but i think you have to drop the k member to get it off. That and i drive this car everyday so i cant afford to lose control because of a lack of swaybar.
I know you aren't pulling the swaybar...but to clarify, with the engine removed, and the front wheels off(on jack stands), you can remove the front sway bar without cutting it or lowering the k-member.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know you aren't pulling the swaybar...but to clarify, with the ENGINE REMOVED, and the front wheels off(on jack stands), you can remove the front sway bar without cutting it or lowering the k-member.
Its the engine removed part that makes it difficult lol. This engine isnt coming out for at least 4 years. Hopefully more. I drive this car everyday.

·
Banned
99 Posts
well i run stock 96 shocks up front/with tokico's hp's out back and eibachs and cut 2.00's in my sc. and hook wonderfully for that heavy of a boat anchor with 330ft pounds at the rear wheels. ran same setup on my 96 and only got 2.3's but i race alot and practice makes perfect and am lucky to have a very good track where i live.

·
West Virginia Chapter Director /, MA Drag Race Te
2,643 Posts
well i run stock 96 shocks up front/with tokico's hp's out back and eibachs and cut 2.00's in my sc. and hook wonderfully for that heavy of a boat anchor with 330ft pounds at the rear wheels. ran same setup on my 96 and only got 2.3's but i race alot and practice makes perfect and am lucky to have a very good track where i live.

Trust me I'm not degrading you but you are kidding right??? What tires are you running on and at what track? If I had all your mods and 330 Ft lbs at the wheels and was only pulling 2.0's I believe I'd consider another form of entertainment. I certainly wouldn't call that hooking well.

I just had my stock 95 4.6L Cougar at the track last weekend and pulled 2.2's all day long on the stock suspension. It don't make any power! If that car was hooking it should certainly be down in the 1.8's or low 1.9 range.

Somethings not right here.

·
Banned
99 Posts
Im Running On Street Tires 17x7.5 Rekin Raptors 245/45/17 For Me That's Good

·
Banned
99 Posts
Oh And Im At Kcir In Missouri

1 - 20 of 31 Posts