TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,.......seems like i'm leaking powersteering fluid from my rack's driver side boot.........can i change the boot or do i have to change the whole rack?......the guy i took it to said they'd have to change the whole rack......

·
Banned
154 Posts
If you're leaking power steering fluid from the boot, you have a broken seal inside. You'll need to either rebuild your rack and replace the seal, or buy a new one which is around $100. Plus you'll need to get the tie rod ends back on where they went and have it re-aligned.

·
Registered
52 Posts
ok what if there is a tear in the boot where the ps fluid is leaking out, should I just try replacing the boot first (since the boot kits are only approx. $10) and then if all else fails, have the whole thing replaced?

·
Premium Member
8,978 Posts
Fluid should never even ENTER the boot let alone exit from it! If there is fluid copming from the boot a seal is broken! Either rebuild the rack or replace the rack. And they are a real pain to replace let me tell you what. I'd buy a new remannied one from MOOG and swap it in. It really sucks but if you don't do it now you will be stuck 300 miles away from home without power steering and have to go to a local autozone to buy a shorter belt to bypass the ps pump so you can drive home in the blazing rain and hail storm without any power steering.

Okay so that only happened to me but you never know. It could be you NEXT!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Have the rack & pinion unit sitting here in my living room. New front shocks should be in tomorrow. She's gonna get worked on Monday. Would like to hear some opinions on whether I should be prepared to replace the upper shock mounts (been told they should be ok) though.

Thanks all

Diane

·
Premium Member
8,978 Posts
dhines said:
Have the rack & pinion unit sitting here in my living room. New front shocks should be in tomorrow. She's gonna get worked on Monday. Would like to hear some opinions on whether I should be prepared to replace the upper shock mounts (been told they should be ok) though.

Thanks all

Diane
they should be okay. :) So are you having a shop do it? If not I'll gladly come help you out.
-Thomas

·
Registered
52 Posts
My son has been teaching me how to work on my car but that is one thing he didn't want to tackle. I have a friend who works in a station in southern Iowa and the mechanic there is gonna do the job for me. But thanks for the offer though.

Diane

1 - 7 of 7 Posts