TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I noticed that my Cougar has play in the steering. From what I read it could be the rack and pinion assembly, the mount bushings and even the steering rag.

I have already replaced one tie rod on the drivers side and had the car aligned after that, but now the car is starting to show the play when I apply the breaks after driving at high speeds on the freeway, get off and go to stop. The steering is jumping back and forth as if the rotors where warped. If the rotors where warped, this would happen all the time under all circumstances of driving.

Suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
5,025 Posts
Get someone to help you and pull a visual inspection.

That is, look at the rag joint; does it turn on the top (the steering wheel side) when your assistant turns it back and forth (ignition ON, motor OFF)? If so, does it match the BOTTOM? If so, does the rack turn the inner tie rods in and out? If so, does the spindle pivot smoothly or is it not moving the wheel properly?

That's all. Just lay eyeballs on it and find out where the slop is.

As a note - on my Dakota pickup, I found out that the rack bushings were deteriorating, which was a chunk of MY play (if the rack keeps shifting back and forth, the steering will be less than precise ...)

RwP

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Get someone to help you and pull a visual inspection.

That's all. Just lay eyeballs on it and find out where the slop is.
Excellent advise, thank you. I know how to do standard steering, but rack and pinion is kinda new.

As a note - on my Dakota pickup, I found out that the rack bushings were deteriorating,
Like this?

Attachments

·
Administrator
8,114 Posts
That inner tie rod looks like it has seen better days. Not sure if this is causing your problem, but worth replacing.

Joe

·
Super Moderator
10,772 Posts
I was going to say, replace the outer and inner tie rod ends.

If you're going to upgrade the ragjoint, Jay makes the flaming river adapter parts for our cars, that DLF came up with WBW; check out his thread in the For Sale area.

The upgrade is much smoother than factory.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That inner tie rod looks like it has seen better days. Not sure if this is causing your problem, but worth replacing.

Joe
Yes, the inner was replaced a while back and I replaced the outer as well.

Need to have the wife site down at the wheel and move it around so I can see what might be the issue.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was going to say, replace the outer and inner tie rod ends.

If you're going to upgrade the ragjoint, Jay makes the flaming river adapter parts for our cars, that DLF came up with WBW; check out his thread in the For Sale area.

The upgrade is much smoother than factory.
I read that when I was researching replacing the rag. Pretty slick setup and I can see how it would be a lot smoother.

Thanks!

I will update soon on what I find.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts