TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When Tim was putting my UCA's on he squeezed the drivers side bellow/boot on the inner tie rod and power steering fluid spilled out of the boot (it's ripped). I was wondering is there even supposed to be fluid in there or are the seals leaking.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,562 Posts
I don't recall there being fluid in there when I took the left boot off a friend's 97 when I did the driver's tie rods.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
No, the boots are there only to keep dust/dirt out, not to keep anything in.

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
crap.. so my seals are blown more than likely. Good thing it's under warranty still. Thanks Brandon, Traveler.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
My autozone reman did that 2 miles after installation. The boots should contain no fluid.

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What burns me up is that's the 3rd one in 2 years I'm just glad it's still under warranty. The first one they put in they couldn't get to work at all so they ordered another one. The second one was leaking but they conveniently didn't discover it until they had replaced everything else in the power steering system and the warranty was up by one month. So I had to pay for the second one (this one) and now it's gone too. Also this second one wasn't a reman supposedly, it was supposed to be new.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Well THIS time, have them take the thing apart {assuming they can figure out how ;) } and check for scoring. You're having an awful bad run of luck, there.

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They're going to warranty it so best not to have these guys take anything apart if you know what I mean. It was the full rack with inner arms too so they shouldn't have had to mess with anything when they put it in, the seals just didn't last for whatever reason.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts