TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RADAR Detector Hardwiring

I want to hardwire my RADAR detector into the fuse panel. I thought I could just run the + lead into a fuse with eithe rconstant DC or "key on" DC and ground to the chassis. I did that and it didn't work. Any suggestions?

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
I wouldn't hard wire such a device. When you get pulled over, the cop will see the detector and write you up for anything he can. You need to be able to rip it off and throw it in the center console, under the seat, or in glove box.

wire it in parallel with something (radio?) that is on the circuit you want.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to electronics. Will I need to ground to the same ground as the circuit from which I get my power? I thought about using the wiring that runs into the cigarette lighter? How would I do that?

·
5w30 Guzzler
1,462 Posts
it doesnt matter where the ground comes from as long as it's a substantial one. i dont know about the cigarette lighter. i know that they use a lot more current than just a radio so i guess it depends where you wire it from the cigarette lighter.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
GreenBird said:
I wouldn't hard wire such a device. When you get pulled over, the cop will see the detector and write you up for anything he can. You need to be able to rip it off and throw it in the center console, under the seat, or in glove box.

wire it in parallel with something (radio?) that is on the circuit you want.
i would recommend hard-wiring it, that way you dont have to turn it on and off manually and it looks much more clean cut. ive always hard-wired my radar detectors. ive been pulled over probably 10 times with the radar detector in plain view and not received any sort of ticket.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
I'm thinking of getting the 92 Suburban headliner console and adding my detector to it some how and hide it

·
Registered
104 Posts
I hard wired mine from the Radio Wiring Harness, ran it up through the doors, and mounted it above the rear-view mirror....works great, and it's not all that visible if you get pulled over, they look down, not up...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to all of you who replies. I wired it into the back of the cigarette lighter using the existing plugs. Worked perfectly...

·
Registered
178 Posts
You need to know the voltage level.

You probably did not have the DC converter inplace.

Here is what you need to do:

We know the voltage level of the car's charging system. Approx 12V.

What is the voltage requirement on the radar detector?

Once you know that, you can put a voltage divider in there to drop your voltage to the required level or..

Buy a voltage regulator chip from digi-key and wire up your own regulator circuit using some perf board. I recommend National Semi-conductor.

By the way, with cops having the pulsing radar and they are able to read your speed in front and behind their cars, with your car coming from either direction, I really don't see the advantage of having a radar detector anymore.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Dustin

Of course you can get a radar scrambler...It doesn't allow you to be picked up by radar. One of my bro's friends has one and there was a cop in the road(or somewhere in the open) using radar to check the passing cars, the guy went the speed limit, just in case, and when he was passing by, the cop kept trying to get a reading and had a puzzled look. So what I'm planing on getting is a scrambler.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Jammers dont work

Almost all the jammers in the market do no work and if they do work maybe about 50% of the time. Also cops also know when you have a jammer when their radar gun just gives them beeps and no message so they pull you over for a jammer, also cops now use something called vidar I think which they pick two points on the road and time you between each one and then they now your speed without any electronic devices that emit light.
Check this site out:
http://www.radartest.com/JOS.html

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Interesting, I was wondering about that, "We'll pay any tickets you get." one. But do they? They never really answered the question. It doesn't really hurt to have a radar detector. They'll help now and then. I just bought one mainly because my brother got a couple tickets within a month or two, and figured if they're wanting to give a ticket and are checking, I can slow to 5 under. I'm driving a red sports car with tinted windows, it's a police magnet. Although, since my brother and his friends have been fixing up Cavaliers, www.cardomain.com/id/supercav03, we've had a couple police showing up about complaints. Someone said my brother gave them the finger while passing them. Not unusual, but not really likely. It was probably one of those FREAKING STUPID OLD PEOPLE going 15mph on the highway, 35mph, like the ones I was stuck behind today. I think people like that need to lose their liscence, the old people.

1993 3.8L Cougar XR7 Special Edition :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts