TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey whats a good radar detector around for cheap...i heard good things for alot of cobras but i hear the best are Passports....i was going to get one of those from bestbuy with my discount the "top rated one" but im not sure how much that is...id like to compare that with the prices of other ones....so what do you guys think are decent ones that can "see" cops from about a mile away and price is a pretty big factor in all of this.

·
Raoul Duke
1,747 Posts
I had a Cobra detector a few years ago... until I learned that it's almost pointless to have one.
By the time it goes off, the cop has already learned how fast you are going.

My advice: Don't speed. It's simply not worth it.

For what it's worth, the detector worked very well with both radar and laser.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A) do you know the model of the one you had and B) still got it and wanna give it up ;) C) my friends dad has one and it works really well we were coming down the street and i hear it go off im like wtf where is he and about 2 minutes later we passed him coming the other way

·
Raoul Duke
1,747 Posts
Two minutes, eh? :D

I know I still have it somewhere, so I'll take a look today.
By the way, check your local laws concerning radar detectors if you haven't already.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
cougarcragar said:
... until I learned that it's almost pointless to have one.
By the time it goes off, the cop has already learned how fast you are going...
I have never been pulled over with my radar detector on. The trick is that there has to be other people on the road for it to work. If there is traffic ahead of you, the cop pulls the trigger to check their speed. Your detector goes off and you slow down.
If you are on the road by yourself, then the cop pulls the trigger to check your speed and it is too late.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Mine has got me out of what would have been two really large tickets. The worst would have been roughly 90 in a 55. It has paid for itself several times over. The most important thing is to be careful of your speeding though. If you have to do it, at least do it on deserted highways.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
I have a Bel Vector 960. Got it on SoundDomain as an open box item for about $175-185 shipped a year ago. Works great. I had a Whistler I bought for $85 from their website on clearance. Worked decent, but not as well as the Bel, and the speaker blew after a little over a year. Brother's Whistler speaker went bad too, after a couple months.

Battery-operated open box item:
http://www.cardomain.com/item/BEL946O

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
If you just have to have one, go with the best. A Valentine One. My roommate has one and I've seen it in action. It tells you Where the radar is (front, behind, to your right, left, etc). It tells you how many there are, it tells you what kind it is (K, Ka, X, laser, etc), and how strong the signal is. I have never seen a false signal. They are pricey, but they are the best.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Ya, $3-400. I'd like one, but I'd also like a supercharger. I just don't have money for one. If he wants a cheap one, don't go with a Whistler. You can get a decent Bel for under $200. And get one that says X, K, Ka, or Laser. And if you get a Bel, I hear 900s and up are the best.

I'd like a Valentine, but I can't afford one, and I don't speed that much in my truck anyway, since I have a 3-speed, no overdrive, C6 auto transmission.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I have a Bel 960, frikkin awesome radar detector! :thumbsup: Got out of a few speeding tickets because of it, got a guy in a Camaro a ticket one time though. I tore out of a parking lot to beat the oncoming traffic, Ka band went off, I hit 50 in a 35, I let off to about 30, Camaro went by me at 40... he got popped. :zwall:

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
93pimpin said:
I'd like a Valentine, but I can't afford one
Same here. I got one of the $39.96 wal-mart specials (POS). I haven't used it in over a year now. I always get the feeling that if I go to electronic counter-measures, I'll be even more likely to get a ticket. I just don't drive like an idiot and avoid the need one.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
I use it along with careful driving and watching for cops. Even if I'm going the speed limit and don't have one, I like to know if cops have their radar on or not. Helps you stay slow before getting hit. I'd never be without one.

·
Raoul Duke
1,747 Posts
cougar_guy04 said:
I always get the feeling that if I go to electronic counter-measures, I'll be even more likely to get a ticket. I just don't drive like an idiot and avoid the need one.
:idea:

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Well theres only one radar detector I would even bother to recommend to anyone and no it's not cheap, it's the Valentine One.

It's the only one I know of that doesn't spend it's life lost and forgotten in your glove compartment...

I don't really need one for driving but it's always nice to have a cop detector with me...

·
Registered
724 Posts
I used a Valentine 1 on a cross country drive in a Z06. If I decide to buy one, thats teh only one I would even consider. And $400 is pretty cheap compared to a ticket and all thats involved with it.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I use a Cobra one (can't recall the model number), and it works pretty well. In the city, it likes to give X alerts for Circuit City and any other electronics store, but I've learned where those come from and pretty much ignore them unless they get to a level 3 or above. On the highway, however, it never gives out a false alarm. Saved me from a ticket once when I was doing about 80 in a 65.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Statik said:
hey whats a good radar detector around for cheap...i heard good things for alot of cobras but i hear the best are Passports....i was going to get one of those from bestbuy with my discount the "top rated one" but im not sure how much that is...id like to compare that with the prices of other ones....so what do you guys think are decent ones that can "see" cops from about a mile away and price is a pretty big factor in all of this.
Sorry, there's no such thing as "good AND cheap" ... its one or the other.

I used to sell BEL and they were once the top of the line.

There are some "Passive Jaming" units out there that work great but they are pricey.

I'd rank the rest of the best this way.

Valentine
Bel
PNI - Sensoro
Whistler
Cobra

A good place to start doing some research is: http://www.radarbusters.com/

·
Registered
251 Posts
i have a cobra, and its gotten me out of a few tickets..... cops comin off of side streets that u cant see, maybe just doing somthing illegal and it gives out a warning if the radar is on, they help a ton.

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
Radar detectors are mostly good for speed traps and lazy cops. They won't work 100% of the time but they are nice to have now and then (though they get obnoxious around town now and then lol)

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Helped us tonight. Driving down the road, HP popped over a hill a couple hills ahead and Ka Band went off. Little curvey road, so not really anywhere to turn around. 55mph, we were going almost 70. Slowed down pretty fast. We were also about 1 mile out of town. He probably wouldn't have been able to catch us anyway. But it's kinda hard to hide when you park right by where he probably drives every day.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts