TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My radiator went out on me last week, the upper hose connection broke and the hose popped off. The plastic literally disintegrated. There's not enough plastic left to hold the hose on. So I got parts on order. I'll be replacing the hoses while in there. Is there any reason to not replace the water pump?

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
That sucks. No reason to not replace the pump if it's original. You'll need a pry bar.

But I would get a Motorcraft if possible instead of a "5 year" pump that Advance sells. Everything they sell lasts 5 years tops. I replaced the pump twice on Brenda's Cougar because I went to Advance.

Al

Reactions: GreenT

·
SuperNewbie
1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6 red
3,641 Posts
I'd replace the pump. It's a simple job.

·
Super Moderator
97 Thunderbird 4.6, 98 Mark VIII LSC
11,199 Posts
It's debatable if there's any real (measurable) difference, but the PW470 from the Cobra has been reputed to free up a tiny bit of power and improve coolant flow due to the closed-vane design of the impeller.

·
SuperNewbie
1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6 red
3,641 Posts
It's debatable if there's any real (measurable) difference, but the PW470 from the Cobra has been reputed to free up a tiny bit of power and improve coolant flow due to the closed-vane design of the impeller.
Most of the pumps I've picked up from autozone in the last few years actually have the closed vane impeller.

·
Super Moderator
97 Thunderbird 4.6, 98 Mark VIII LSC
11,199 Posts
Sorry for being a decade or two out of date, as usual. :ROFLMAO:

·
Super Moderator
12,842 Posts
I'd say the cobra bump is pricier than a GM pump.

·
Administrator
14,486 Posts
Get an electric Meziere pump. Model # WP346S

Here are a few sources.

Great pump. Should last you years.

·
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017
1,383 Posts
Thats what my junk has, Meziere, has lasted12 years, four as a daily driver, three more as a weekend warrior,
the rest as a trailer queen.

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
I run an Edelbrock pump.

·
Registered
97 Tbird Sport
42 Posts
Be glad the tank didn't puke in your tranny. That costs more than a large aux cooler to bypass the radiator for the Trans cooling.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ordered the water pump listed for our cars, it is a closed vane. The one I pulled off was open vane, so I assume it was the original.
Got the new radiator, water pump, upper & lower hoses installed. I also pulled the overflow and cleaned the inside the best I could.
Drove her to work to day and she seems to be running cooler. The ride home will be the test, it's currently 97* out now.

·
Super Moderator
12,842 Posts
Adding a large trans cooler is a must for hot weather; the 3-4 and 4-3 in traffic seems to be what overheats them. The factory shift pattern drops out of 4th with minimal throttle. I saw the temp go from 200f to 500f in a minute, driving in 70mph traffic.

·
Registered
1994 XR7 , 46 most every option. 66.000 miles. rustfree, from washington state.
454 Posts
thats what i put in when i got my car. that , pulleys, and serp belt.

·
Administrator
14,486 Posts
Adding a large trans cooler is a must for hot weather; the 3-4 and 4-3 in traffic seems to be what overheats them. The factory shift pattern drops out of 4th with minimal throttle. I saw the temp go from 200f to 500f in a minute, driving in 70mph traffic.
I finally made it home to share a picture. I had previously posted pix of my cooler but those pix were linked to Photobucket and we all know what happened to those pix when PB broke the internet.

·
Super Moderator
12,842 Posts
I bought Three 48k btu coolers from Alan hears ago; I did mine similarly, but bought some 1/4" open area, 20awg stainless mesh from msc to go in front of it.Road debris will waste them here otherwise.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts