TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the stock fan work with the cobra radiator? Is the cobra radiator any thicker (front to back) than the stock T-Bird? I'm trying to use as little space as possible. Measurements of the stock vs. cobra in a bird would be great. Pics?

Who makes the best fuel pumps an where can I get them?

Thanks
Dan

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,917 Posts
Regarding the radiator, here is a good discussion about it. In short, from what I read in that thread, the Cobra radiator is thicker, and the T-bird shroud is a little too short to fit correctly....

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
I do know you have to get the fan/shroud and pigtail. most lilely from Senor Newmann. For the radiator, radiator.com sells Cobra unit for 99-150$...very cheap, and its an OEM drop in, most likely made by Visteon.

joseph

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
gecko2424 said:
Does the stock fan work with the cobra radiator?
No.. ya need this one:

Is the cobra radiator any thicker (front to back) than the stock T-Bird? I'm trying to use as little space as possible. Measurements of the stock vs. cobra in a bird would be great.
Yes... it is thicker.. I don't know the measurements... I'd guess maybe 3/4"??? I really don't know though.. there is sufficient clearance from the stock water pump and other pullies. If you plan on putting a blower up front you will have less room for the plumbing, but Chadg worked it out somehow, he's got a Vortech and Cobra rad combination, and I will have one soon as well... Here's the clearance to Chadg's blower:

I have posted these before and described the install in the thread linked above:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thx for the pic's, I'm thinking of doing this too.

·
Cougar Pilot
3,443 Posts

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I suggest that if you are considering any major power mods, you upgrade the size of the pump to 190 or 255. If you read this thread it'll give you the theory on how to figure what you need. This calculator will tell you what you need if you know what numbers to plug in. However, because of the weight of our cars, I would suggest overkill on the pump, especially with a power adder, you do not want to go lean as the result of a weak pump... IMHO

-mike

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
AustinCougar said:
Thx for the pic's, I'm thinking of doing this too.
I'm sure your buddies down there can handle this one, no sweat, but if you read toward the end of this thread there are some helpful hints... You gotta swap the brackets left to right and upside down, and the driver's side upper mounting bolt is a beetch, my guy faked it and toughed it out a 1/16 of a turn at a time, using a lag bolt instead of a nut and bolt, but he was looking for the factory look. Scott had a heckuva time getting it out...

Scott made up an extension bracket for that bolt on Cougie.

Chadg can also assist. Chadg and I did it pretty much stock, Scott's got aftermarket fans wired in...

You will lose your second trans cooler.... Well unless you mount another one in...

-mike

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, so APE has the 255 lph pump and the 255 HP. I see two differences between them.

1st - the HP Pump has the capability for more pressure and doesn't drop off as fast
2nd - the HP uses about 1 amp less at 40 psi, but about the same flow.

Is the HP a more efficient pump? With my underdrive pullies and the alternator not charging at idle, an extra amp here and there is worth a couple bucks.

Is there any reason not to use the HP?

Dan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts