TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving home tonight I noticed that the temp gauge was running hotter than usual, and I smelled an electrical plasticy odor. I pulled over, shut the engine off, and raised the hood. I saw smoke coming from the cooling fan motor area and smelled what smelled like plastic burning. The upper radiator hose was also bulging. After letting things cool down, I checked the coolant overflow tank which was full. I tried to turn the fan blade, but it was very difficult and was binding up. The upper hose also was kinda soft where it attaches to the engine. I assume that I need to replace the entire fan assembly and, obviously, the hose. Is that hard to do? Is the Dorman 620-118 or TYC 620950 a better part? Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
As far as fans go for stock replacement, either would be fine.

In regards to difficulty, it's not. You'll need to drain the coolant system since you'll be replacing the hose. That's done at the bottom of the radiator through the petcock valve. You may want to check the lower radiator hose while you're at it if it hasn't been replaced either. That one is a little bit more tricky as it's a T style hose.

·
Registered
984 Posts
The fan assembly is held in place by two bolts near the top and two clips near the bottom. Getting it in and out is MUCH easier with the upper radiator hose removed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts