TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, quicklike, what is wrong and how do I fix it?

The fan isn't coming on with the thermostat like it is supposed to, but it does come on with the A/C. I wouldn't even have noticed it except I had it sitting at idle while I was waiting for my girlfriend last night and it (the car) got warm. Any ideas how to test it and/or how to fix it?

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Just happened to me last week and it turned out one of the connections on the fan was loose. It wasn't all the way out, so just by looking at it you couldn't tell, but it was definitely loose enough to lose connection. On mine it was the wire that goes dead center on the fan.

If it's not that I have no idea haha. I'm retarded when it comes to this stuff, but sometimes it's the simple little things that cause the biggest problems.

On a side note... Incidentally, I was waiting for my gf when I noticed it too lol. :D

~Chuck

·
Registered
43 Posts
It might be the sending unit. On my 95 SC there are 2, one for the gauge & the other sends the signal to the PCM, then to the IRCM (behind the passenger side headlight) to operate the fan. Not sure if it's the same on 96-97's with the 4.6, but it should be.
Also, if the fan is a 2-speed you might only have one speed that is functioning. Borrow a scanner from someone & do the KOEO (Key On, Engine Off) test. I'm pretty sure that tests both speeds of a 2-speed fan motor.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts