TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
may be this will sound stupid but does anyone make a cap or is there a way
to lessen the 16# pressure in the cooling system on a 94-7 4.6 tbird
or cougar cooling system. i always used a 7-9 # cap on the old systems.
thought maybe it would make the radiators and heater cores last longer.[you guys wont be the first to laugh]. have never had overheating probs yet. just
asking. thanks!--irv
i know--just unscrew the cap!

·
Registered
984 Posts
irvin,

You should never put a lower pressure cap on a system that is designed to operate at a higher pressure. The lower pressure cap will vent frequently, because the cooling system will exceed its pressure capability. You'll lose coolant and eventually overheat.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I have never seen any plastic screw on caps that were less than like 15 psi.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
all right dont give me any good news. got away with it for years on
cars w/regular caps. i know they don t make anything else in the
newer ford screw on. irun a 9lb cap on my bonneville now.never
had any probs over the years with anything overheating. just dont
like a lot of pressure but they all do it now. to many vehicles w/marginal
cooling systems made to run hot for emissions

·
Super Moderator
10,319 Posts
If you keep blowing cores, there's something very corrosive in your system, or you're mechanically breaking them going in.

You need to completely flush your system very well; after draining everything, including the block. (there's a screw-in plug in the side of the block.)

Keep flushing for a while until the water is running completely clear. Backflushing is good also; you have the lines loose at the core, run water every direction thru every water opening until it's all clean.

For anyone tempted: If you run water in your intake, you won't like it. Likewise oil fill cap; the list goes on... :rolleyes:

Let that all drain out, install everything, add the coolant, then top off with distilled water; make sure there's no salt in it. (All bottled drinking water adds salt, pretty much.)

Your tap water may have a water softener; those add salt. :)

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I remember some guy telling me a long time ago that a higher pressure radiator cap will make the car run cooler. I just did some checking online though and apparently a higher pressure means a higher boiling point for coolant. Is there any truth to this?
-Rob

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
I remember some guy telling me a long time ago that a higher pressure radiator cap will make the car run cooler. I just did some checking online though and apparently a higher pressure means a higher boiling point for coolant. Is there any truth to this?
-Rob
absolutely....it is the reason that water boils at less than 212°F when you live in a high altitude area than when you're at sea level...less atmospheric pressure on the water at altitude

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Well good to finally get that clarified! :D
-Rob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts