TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't posted a question in a while but Iam in the process replacing my cooling system. I just installed the pi intake, no leaks thanks to all the info everybody here post about the install. Thank you very much. My 2003 cobra water pump from rockauto is on the way. Along with new upper and lower rad hoses. I have already replaced my rad fan two months ago. Stock type could not find mark vii fan for a good price. I replaced my heater hoses and temp sensors with the pi intake. My question is a 99 mustang aluminum radiator replacement. I know there will be install mods to do but how bad. I know there is the cobra radiator upgrade but I can get a mustang radiator for far less. Any advice or ideas will be very much appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
81 Posts
What's wrong with running the factory one? Are you road racing? I don't know if there will be any performance difference with a GT? I can see doing a 03-04 Cobra radiator, Robertp has one in his 95. You'll need a nice trans cooler to go with it. Rob and I both run a 05 an up f150 large trans coolers. I bypassed my radiator and haven't seen trans temps above 130 yet.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
When you say "far less", what do you mean?

I see Cobra radiators on sale all the time on ebay for $75-$100!

AAMOF, I have a solid aluminum 2003 Cobra radiator in my TBird that I got for $100 a couple years ago.

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
You really don't need a radiator upgrade until you're running boost, IMO. Even with my extra compression, my temps stay where they need to be.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Edit that the stock radiator is more than enough even with boost the only reason I upgraded radiator is I road coursed my car, if it had not been for that I'd still be using the factory radiator

Robert

·
3,734 Posts
Good to know.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I found the stock radiator did not have enough margin with my stock PI motor and Dog converter. Worked fine until I came up on a light running the air on a 95+ day.

Even with the Cobra radiator and fan it will go from 190 to 210 at just one light running the AC on a 95+ day. It cools back down pretty quickly once moving again.

I think I could use more cooling and also on the Trans side. I run the TruCool Max and still hits 190 on a hot road trip. The heat builds over time, it takes more than a couple of hours with the AC on to hit 190 and then it levels off even for 10 more hours.

I compared my radiator to Raphael's stock at a local meet. It is noticeably bigger, but there is plenty of room for more fins between the tanks.

I guess it depends on what you are doing with your car. Short runs at home or track stock is fine.

When I pull my 3500 lb boat with the Bird, it heats up plenty quick on a hot day, hitting 220 in about 10 miles.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Well, there must be something going on in my engine because I simply could not stop the overheating problem (I even had parked the car for TWO YEARS because I couldn't run it without it overheating).

I bought two new stock t-stats, two new 180* t-stats, new hoses, new temp sensors, two new water pumps, new OEM radiator, two new catalytic converters (rammed out the third), new electric fan motor, two different fan blades, flushed the motor, replaced the little stock chin spoiler cover, and added water wetter. STILL OVERHEATED...

I know others live here in Florida with these cars and don't have this issue, so I have no clue what was going on. :zdunno:

2009 I found this forum, swapped in the 2003 Cobra radiator and haven't had an overheating problem since. Thank you TCCoA !!!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
It is plenty radiator for pi swap, I have proof oem radiator pi motor on 9 pounds of boost 88 degree temps 20 minute track cessions of wide open throttle with 380 plus rwhp temps never got over 220 degrees and to be honest my temps with the cobra radiator are no cooler driving around! So those that think there maxing out there cooling system are wrong I've got quite a few svo cars around here making atleast. 400 rwhp with no issues in the summer with a/c on

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Exactly those with problems there is something else wrong never had any trouble if the radiator is new and no plugged up

·
3,734 Posts
Well, there must be something going on in my engine because I simply could not stop the overheating problem (I even had parked the car for TWO YEARS because I couldn't run it without it overheating).

I bought two new stock t-stats, two new 180* t-stats, new hoses, new temp sensors, two new water pumps, new OEM radiator, two new catalytic converters (rammed out the third), new electric fan motor, two different fan blades, flushed the motor, replaced the little stock chin spoiler cover, and added water wetter. STILL OVERHEATED...

I know others live here in Florida with these cars and don't have this issue, so I have no clue what was going on. :zdunno:

2009 I found this forum, swapped in the 2003 Cobra radiator and haven't had an overheating problem since. Thank you TCCoA !!!! :thumbsup:
You weren't just relying on the junk that the factory temp gauge was reading? I've had my gauge read higher than usual like it's over heating until I plugged in my OBD scanner and found out the temp was normal.

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
I see you bought a cobra water pump, but a lot of people don't know about the Stewart water pump. Outflows the stock unit while consuming less power to run. Only a little bit more in price but worth it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for advise I could not find a cobra radiator for less than $250.00 on eBay and there was only two listed. Plus Iam not fond of plastic tank radiators. I have had bad luck with them. Even on my 89 f150 5.0 I replaced the plastic tank radiator with all metal. I guess more piece of mind first and extra cooling second. Sorry took long on reply. Just got off a couple day work stint. So I assume the fabrication to convert is bad.

·
Registered
203 Posts
My factory original radiator has sprung a leak, so time to replace it, the thermostat and the hoses. I can get a new '03/'04 Cobra radiator for $110; will it bolt right up or are there some 'mods' that need to be done?

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
My factory original radiator has sprung a leak, so time to replace it, the thermostat and the hoses. I can get a new '03/'04 Cobra radiator for $110; will it bolt right up or are there some 'mods' that need to be done?
Mods are involved.

Which mods depend on Who's radiator.

Most Cobra radiators don't have coolers for the tranny; you'll want an external one.

I recommend these:

http://www.dirtydogperformance.com/transmission-rebuild-kits-and-parts/45-000-btu-supercooler/prod_114.html

I'm using them on all three cars, and may get one for the Contour...

·
Registered
203 Posts
This one has a built in trans cooler.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I had to modify the lower mounts on the radiator core support for my Cobra radiator, they are slightly wider for the Mustang .. im assuming any Mustang radiator would be similar. Same with the upper mounting brackets, they were flipped around to make it work with the stock brackets and the lower hose outlet on the radiator is slightly larger than the Tbird so it was a very tight fit getting the hose over the outlet.

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
...the lower hose outlet on the radiator is slightly larger than the Tbird so it was a very tight fit getting the hose over the outlet.
Order the mustang hose; you will need to extend the line to the tank ~3" or so, but it's a direct fit.

Otherwise, you're stretching a hose 1/4"... :)

·
Registered
203 Posts
I had to modify the lower mounts on the radiator core support for my Cobra radiator, they are slightly wider for the Mustang .. im assuming any Mustang radiator would be similar. Same with the upper mounting brackets, they were flipped around to make it work with the stock brackets and the lower hose outlet on the radiator is slightly larger than the Tbird so it was a very tight fit getting the hose over the outlet.
What exactly needs to be done to the lower mounts? I just have to turn the upper brackets around?

Order the mustang hose; you will need to extend the line to the tank ~3" or so, but it's a direct fit.

Otherwise, you're stretching a hose 1/4"... :)
Do I need to just get a lower hose for any year 4.6 2V Mustang?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts