TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I have seen the cobra radiator used on here with some minor fitment issues but I was trying to find an upgraded radiator that is better than stock but not exactly the best out there. Has anyone seen these radiators?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/mishimoto-mustang-radiator-04.html

I'm not sure of other alternatives but badbird has a universal radiator in his carbed bird with cheap over flow tank. I'd like to use my stock overflow tank though. I'm sure others have used griffins with success too but I dont want to spend 400+ on a radiator.

So is there a lower buck upgrade out there people have tried?

·
The Parts Guy
7,349 Posts
Everything I've read about the Mishimoto's points to a real lack of quality. I know at least a few guys over at moddedmustangs.com have had them start leaking within a year or two of installing them. That being said, I don't have any direct experience with them...I'm running a '03 Cobra rad/fan.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Good Radiator Upgrade

I put a used 2003 Mustang Cobra solid aluminum radiator on mine. I only had to flip over the top mounts and cut a small corner from the plastic battery tray. Oh, and since the Cobra is a manual transmission, I had to add an external tranny cooler. It looks very stock and good mounted in the car.

·
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But no aftermarket cobra radiators are up to the quality of the FoMoCo cobra radiator? Anyone have a good place for a good price on that fomoco radiator. I read they went up in price dramatically. I really dont know how long my radiator has I have been saying it needs a replacement a long time ago but I have been slacking.

I've also read a lot about how people have bought radiators that leaked a year or 2 after they bought them so I'd like to avoid anything like that. This is a DD so quality is important I just don't need to blow money on it. It gets hot as hell here in the summer so this is definitely serving an important function in improving DD duties.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
But no aftermarket cobra radiators are up to the quality of the FoMoCo cobra radiator? Anyone have a good place for a good price on that fomoco radiator. I read they went up in price dramatically. I really dont know how long my radiator has I have been saying it needs a replacement a long time ago but I have been slacking.

I've also read a lot about how people have bought radiators that leaked a year or 2 after they bought them so I'd like to avoid anything like that. This is a DD so quality is important I just don't need to blow money on it. It gets hot as hell here in the summer so this is definitely serving an important function in improving DD duties.
I bought mine about a year and a half ago for about $100. There are several here on the site that have aftermarket aluminum radiators that have served them well (of course, they cost much more). I'm sure they will chime in at some point!

The whole reason I did my swap was because my Bird is a DD and kept overheating here in the hot Florida summers. The only cure was to put that radiator in. It hasn't overheated since.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
I've been eyeballing the autotrans version and the manual trans version of the mishimoto piece for awhile now. I've heard good and bad things about them, seems like many have typical ground issue erosion problems, something I'm not as concerned about.

·
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've been eyeballing the autotrans version and the manual trans version of the mishimoto piece for awhile now. I've heard good and bad things about them, seems like many have typical ground issue erosion problems, something I'm not as concerned about.
Assuming you use a sacrificial anode type of drain plug these wouldn't leak would they? Add a 0 gauge wire grounding kit and shouldn't that stop any electrolysis and leaks? Or are they just made crappy were its beyond just poor grounds and erosion.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
All I've heard is electrolysis issues. Proper grounding should alleviate that issue. It would also help to have a sacrificial anode or an aluminum block. I'm sure using proper coolant, distilled water, proper ratio, proper pressures, and proper coolant maintenance would also help significantly.

·
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All I've heard is electrolysis issues. Proper grounding should alleviate that issue. It would also help to have a sacrificial anode or an aluminum block. I'm sure using proper coolant, distilled water, proper ratio, proper pressures, and proper coolant maintenance would also help significantly.
I sure hope so as I think I am getting this rad cause mine is leaking and its days are numbered. I plan to ground it with 0 gauge wire and I just need to find a way to add a sacrificial anode. There is not a cap or plug with this set up. I don't want to change the radiator. I have an iron block but I have no history of any electrolysis under the hood. Never any heater cores gone bad still have the original in and it works fine.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts

·
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good idea on that. If you put it on the upper you can check it anytime its cold with out it being a mess. But thats a little on the spendy side for such a small part thats technically optional. Its going to get a proper ground already btw. I need to find something for less than that price but this idea does work. I would have to just cut in upper in half or somewhere in the middle and clamp this on. It sounds pretty simple too.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts

·
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm using the manual version since I am going to remain by passing the radiator. I have the true cool max long cooler that barely fits in the front. I think I am using an anode drain plug so that will work for me. Since I'm not worried about it going bad anytime soon. I just need one to fit the plug 1/4" npt I think is the size I'd have to plug up.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
I'm using the manual version since I am going to remain by passing the radiator. I have the true cool max long cooler that barely fits in the front. I think I am using an anode drain plug so that will work for me. Since I'm not worried about it. I just need one to fit the plug 1/4" npt I think is the size I'd have to plug up.
So....this....http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLX-32060/

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Good find, and at a half of the price. Also as far as leaks did you read their no hastle warrenty? Talk about above and beyond service. I'll buy from them just for that.

·
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good find, and at a quarter of the price. Also as far as leaks did you read their no hastle warrenty? Talk about above and beyond service. I'll buy from them just for that.
I didn't quite get all the details from robs thread. Does it look like you can jsut reuse your old radiator bushings or would you have to buy new? Seems interchangeable.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts