TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well Ive been browsing the forums for radiator info, mines leaking and I'm looking to replace it. don't really want to spend tons of money on the cobra swap since i don't have the aftermarket cooler.
just need something that isn't gonna cost me an arm and a leg and will fit without modifications(and maybe cool a bit better). but anyway, is their any difference between the 95-97 stuff at all, trans coolers or size of the radiator? i was hearing somewhere that the 97 have a different trans cooler that's better than the 95's; not really sure... and should i just go get one from the local parts store, or from Ford? I'd like it to last, and I've had bad exp with cooling system parts from Oriellys and whatever.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
These radiators have plastic tanks with a seal and they are secured to the core by a crimp.

My '92 leaked a few years ago, I bought a new one from a big radiator specialty place and replaced it and all was good, then the next year it leaked so I called them, replaced no problem. Lifetime warranty.

Well, somehow during that period of time, I also aquired a 2003 Forester and it wad some minor damage and I got it cheap with a plan to fiox. It was minor crash damage, RF and twisted the radiator a hair and so I ordered al;l my parts, most from Subaru, and I ended up with an aftermarket radiator but from a competing supplier .... with "lifetime" warranty I was told. .... and after two years, it started leaking.

I called them, and called them again, and everytime I gott a ruinnaround. Wanted me to prove I had changed AF every year. No body does that! Finally, they said would sell me one 1/2 price, then told me the price.

I called the people whom I had dealt with before, they sent me one $7 cheaper.
Few days layter I got a call from the first company wanting to know what I decided, was a new guy. I told him what I found. I got the radiator from the good people and it was same exact make, just different people.

Well, I pulled the leaking one and decided since it wasn't being replaced, I'ld try tightening the crimp. I used small vice grips and set them so they closed just enough to tighten the fingers of the crimp just a hair. I snugged each finger the same, took a little while, then put that radiator back on fully expecting it to leak .... that was Fall of 2009. No leaks yet. Just had it out today. Still have a good new warrantied radiator in the box for backup.

I tell you this as maybe worth a shot, just do not get too crazy with the crimps. Just a little at each finger. Set a pair of vice grips and leave them set same so pressure of crimps is equal all around.

What''s it gonna do .... leak?

·
Chief of Warranty Police
1,492 Posts
Well, I pulled the leaking one and decided since it wasn't being replaced, I'ld try tightening the crimp. I used small vice grips and set them so they closed just enough to tighten the fingers of the crimp just a hair. I snugged each finger the same, took a little while, then put that radiator back on fully expecting it to leak .... that was Fall of 2009. No leaks yet. Just had it out today.
Hmm. I just noticed today that the radiator is leaking in my fiancee's Ranger, I think I'll give this a shot. Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts