TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
talked to the guy i bought my car from he said the radio just quit working but when they ran wire from the radio to the speakers they worked, does that mean the factory amp is fried?

car was sitting for about 8 months now and the rear brakes arent working and niether does the e-brake the boots on the calipers were torn and the pins are rusted hoping new calipers will solve my problem or is it somthin worse?

·
Registered
32 Posts
talked to the guy i bought my car from he said the radio just quit working but when they ran wire from the radio to the speakers they worked, does that mean the factory amp is fried?
Sounds like either the amp or the wiring between the radio and amp or the amp to the speakers. Sounds like your on the right track.
You can put a voltage meter (5vdc range) on the wires coming into the amp and out of the amp to see if you are getting a signal. If your getting a signal to the amp but not one out of the amp, then the amp is fried.
If you don't get a signal to the amp then it's the wiring to the amp.
If your getting a singal out then it's the wiring to the speakers... or the speakers themselves.
Hope this helps.

car was sitting for about 8 months now and the rear brakes arent working and niether does the e-brake the boots on the calipers were torn and the pins are rusted hoping new calipers will solve my problem or is it somthin worse?
Since the e-brake uses a mechanical linkage to the caliper and the regular brakes are hydraulic (i.e. seperate actuation circuits) I would guess that the problem is a bad caliper or very badly glazed pads. It is unlikey that both systems would go out at the same time.

·
Registered
724 Posts
You can sometimes break brakes loose by pulling the car backwards SLOWLY. If you park a car and leave the E-brake on chances are that it will freeze up.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
took of rear tires last week with ebrake on they just kept spinning and when you pull it movin nothin happens. no brake dust on wheels and not getin warm. ordered new calipers and rotors man they are $$$$$$$$$

·
Registered
32 Posts
rzimmerl, did you try the brake pedal and see if the brakes worked?

If so then I would think you have a broken e-brake cable.
If not then I would definatly think it was the caliper.

I don't recall what I payed for a rebuild caliper at Pep Boys (I will never go there again btw) but I didn't think it was over 70 bucks or so.

New rotors can be had for about 30 bucks each at the local Autozone/Checker/etc... if you want to swap them out every year since the cheap ones warp fast. I blame Ford for putting 10.8 inch rotors on a two ton car. But that's just my opinion.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts