TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Radio hasn't been working for some reason changed out the fuses checked the wires and all isnt the radio itself brand new any other problems i could be looking at?

·
Super Moderator
5,563 Posts
What year, which radio, and when you say "not working" exactly how is it not working? I would gather it's not turning on - but it'd be nice to know what you actually mean.

RwP

·
Super Moderator
5,563 Posts
Oh, and did it ever work?

Did it suddenly change, or slowly start acting up, or ... ?

RwP

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, and did it ever work?

Did it suddenly change, or slowly start acting up, or ... ?

RwP
its a cheap radio for now but worked well no problems recently switched heater core out then that's when all the problems starting going up heat control not working blowing a fuse everytime its plugged in now the radio isn't turning on at all but radioo wires are good no pitches anywhere and if ur meaning car year 1994

·
Super Moderator
11,265 Posts
lol

·
Super Moderator
11,265 Posts
Taking a wild assed guess, I'd say that you pinched a wire or wires putting the dash in. Take it back out and look.
Depending on the type of controls, it could be a bad vacuum connection too.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Radio hasn't been working for some reason changed out the fuses checked the wires and all isnt the radio itself brand new any other problems i could be looking at?
Ummm, why did you change fuses? What did you find?
Has the radio ever worked?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ummm, why did you change fuses? What did you find?
Has the radio ever worked?
changed the ACC fuse just to see and yes radio has worked perfectly before the whole heater core replacement only thing i can think of is a wire is pinched somewhere

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
There have been other posts recently by people having problems blowing fuses after replacing a heater core. Typically there is no easy answer to the cause, just troubleshooting connections and testing circuits until you find the source of the problem.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Brave to tackle the heater core. That was our first real immersion into these cars.
You jiggled everything, probably tugged on wires, pushed them back in when putting things back.
We didn't have any problems but yeah, all you can really do is check every circuit, every connector. Everything is suspect after that job.
Stinks to have to pull it back out but it is the only way.
The longer you own an MN12, the better you get at taking things apart. It seems like everything is behind, under or inside of something else in these things.
Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
5,563 Posts
Yah, Rocketdog - I think they hung the heater core in mid air and built the car around it sometimes.

RwP

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
19,237 Posts
I never found the dash portion of the heater core job nearly as bad as everyone complains about, it’s tedious sure, but at least nothing really fights you(minus crappy alarm/stereo installs with stray wires strewn about, which is your own damn fault in that case lol), the connectors come apart pretty easily and most of the bolts and nuts are pretty easy to access. The part I hate is getting the two 45° angled tubes through the rubber grommet when the core itself must slide straight in through the cruel joke of an access panel. I’ve played with MN12s for half my life and I still struggle with that specific part of the job.

·
Registered
215 Posts
It sure seems like Ford intended to never have a heater core changed in these without great sacrifice.

Whatever gets you hung up (they are all the tiniest bit unalike) can be surmounted but it takes patience and endurance.

·
Super Moderator
5,563 Posts
I never found the dash portion of the heater core job nearly as bad as everyone complains about, it’s tedious sure, but at least nothing really fights you(minus crappy alarm/stereo installs with stray wires strewn about, which is your own damn fault in that case lol), the connectors come apart pretty easily and most of the bolts and nuts are pretty easy to access. The part I hate is getting the two 45° angled tubes through the rubber grommet when the core itself must slide straight in through the cruel joke of an access panel. I’ve played with MN12s for half my life and I still struggle with that specific part of the job.
My only problem when doing my dash was, I was replacing it with a NOS one also; and I managed to drop it and crack the plastic :mad: :mad: due to doing it by myself.

That, and the two 45* nozzles.

RwP

1 - 16 of 16 Posts