TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, so i have neglected to fix a power steering issue for almost a year and a few days ago i went to turn right and heard a snap then my wheel was able to freee spin... after further investigation the rag joint has come off of my rack... my knowledge of the steering is minimal so i figured id better ask for opnions on if its shot or not... is there supposed to be a bolt through it? or how is it held onto the rack? this is a DD so fast responces would be super helpful!!

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Pics would help. Can you tell if its broken where it mounts or the joint itself?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i didnt take pics... should have though!! its stuck at work... i dont think its broken, it's jsut like it can loose or apart from the racks splines.... very odd just a big clunk and i looked at it and it was just chillin about an inch from the splines does a bolt hold it into the rack'ssplines?

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
It should be collapsible. So grab another bolt for the rag joint and try to pull it back out. Be sure to line up your steering wheel correctly first

·
Registered
291 Posts
yes 2 bolts on rag. one holds it to the steeringwheel side one holds it to rack side.

·
Registered
737 Posts
What was blacked out?
That was a Government-redacted photograph. He had a classified ID number, and the name of the Grassy Knoll shooter printed on the crossmember, so of course they had to black it out.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So can anyne tell me an aprox. Size and if I need a nut or just a bolt? Gonna try to tet this goin again tonight

·
Registered
623 Posts
Make sure not to let the wheel spin. If you do there is a good chance you'll 'over-turn' the wheel and break the clock spring.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
While we're talking clock spring, is there a procedure on how to ensure the steering wheel is "centered" when installing a new rack?

Assume the wheel got turned by mistake while the rack was out... :-(

·
Registered
623 Posts
There may be a method, but I am not aware of one.

If that happened to me, I would remove the clock spring and reassemble making sure it is centered.

Usually I tie the wheel to the seat frame with a strap or rope while it is 'free'.

·
Super Moderator
10,278 Posts
There may be a method, but I am not aware of one.

If that happened to me, I would remove the clock spring and reassemble making sure it is centered.

Usually I tie the wheel to the seat frame with a strap or rope while it is 'free'.
The clock spring assembly has directions printed in the plastic:

"Rotate ccw until tight, then about 2 3/4 turns cw till the marks on the case line up."

Theoretically, your steering wheel should be level there. :zdunno:

I just happen to have one laying here beside the computer, lol. ( Thanks, Splattered!)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
upon further investigation i snapped it!! :D i feel special... thankfully my parts car's was not broken, i figure by the looks of it, it'll last about 6 months, so that will give me time to save up for the stainless steel one!! so i have a long week ahead of me!!!

·
Registered
737 Posts
DLF makes a bolt on piece but it can be duplicated using a flaming river joint and a small length of modified shaft. DLF's part is a good price though
huh huh huh (beavis and butthead laugh)....he said 'joint'....

·
Registered
570 Posts
DLF makes a bolt on piece but it can be duplicated using a flaming river joint and a small length of modified shaft. DLF's part is a good price though
Yup, anyone can do it, if you want to buy at least 18" of stainless DD shaft.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts