TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,751 Posts
If it's only chlorine, and not salt, you can easily get rid of it.

Take two large glasses with open mouths, and pour the water between them several times; air will diffuse into the water, as the chlorine diffuses out.

When you can't smell it, it's gone, lol.

Dissolving air into water you drink makes it taste better too; but do it when you're drinking it, not storing it. :)

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Could I use rain water in my battery?

Distilled water at CVS contains chlorine.
Rain water is clean, but contains little bits of all the dust in the air it picks up on the way down. Depending on where you live, there could be soot, acid, etc in the rain water too.

The chlorine removal method above is a better choice.

So am I the only guy that buys sealed batteries here?

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
It may be just a coincidence, but every battery I have added distilled water to recently has taken a dump shortly thereafter.

I dated a girl that had about 10 years of service on a battery that she never added water to. Thinking of considering all batteries to be "maintenance free" from here on out.

Al

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
It may be just a coincidence, but every battery I have added distilled water to recently has taken a dump shortly thereafter.

I dated a girl that had about 10 years of service on a battery that she never added water to. Thinking of considering all batteries to be "maintenance free" from here on out.

Al
The way I look at it, a battery costs about $150 or so for a high quality one from any vendor. If you buy a quality one, you can get at least 5 years out of them, heck my grandma's bone stock Motorcraft one that was in the 2002 Crown Vic I inherited from her was 9 years old and did a fine job. I replaced it just as insurance, I did't want to trust a 9 year old battery to get me through Minnesota winters, but for how cheap they are, I just don't get spending so much effort to squeeze more life out of them. It's like $30/year, just buy a new one.

I also haven't seen a battery with removable caps since the 80's. I honestly didn't know they were still made.

·
Super Moderator
10,751 Posts

I also haven't seen a battery with removable caps since the 80's. I honestly didn't know they were still made.
You haven't looked; apparently that's why they only last 5 yrs, lol.

Sealed battery's that aren't gel or agm didn't last long on the market.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
You haven't looked; apparently that's why they only last 5 yrs, lol.

Sealed battery's that aren't gel or agm didn't last long on the market.
You're right, I really haven't bothered to look. I just replace them.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
The Motorcraft that was in the T-Bird I bought a few months ago was 11 years old. Not uncommon from what I hear, and is what's in there now. O-Reilly's carries them.

Coincidently, it went bad a month after adding distilled water. I wonder sometimes what is really in that stuff. It is only 99 cents, the same as "spring" water.

Al

1 - 9 of 9 Posts