TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my m8 has been converted to coils and has the 1.5 drop kit on it. The rear end sits lower then the front and it bothers the heck out of me. It's been like this for some time but im just now semi motivated to fix it.

What type of rear spring spacers have you guys used? From what I've read i'd need a .5" spacer to get a 1" body lift. True?

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Or I have a set of standard height bird springs I can put in there. Right now I can't fit anything between the tire and the upper wheel well. I don't want a raked look though. idk

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
Most of us that run the Mark 8 LCA's use spring perches that look like this:

The bases of the perches are tapered at an angle to meet the base of the spring correctly.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Speaking of these perches... A guy I know with another LSC here in town had a coil swap done on his car for like $1400 at the dealer according to him. It has red coil springs and those square plates at the top with the corners folded down to hold the spring. There is also no perch used in this kit. I thought that was ridiculous. When we did the coil swap on my cousins LSC, it cost like $150 or so to do getting the parts at pick N pull. We also used Thunderbird lower arms on his car so we wouldnt have to worry about perches.

·
Super Moderator
7,689 Posts
For my coil conversion on my MarkVIII, I cut the upper and lower perches out of an 89 cougar in the junkyard. The 89 got stamped steel lower control arms, which makes it possible to cut the perches out of the arms and weld to them. I used a piece of exhaust tubing that matched the diameter of the hole in the MarkVIII LCA, welded that to the inside of the perch, and used that to locate the perch centered in the LCA. The upper perches I just lined up and welded in. The nice thing about doing it that way is it was cheap, and now I can use any tbird springs without worrying about height differences, but the downside is if I ever wanted to go back to air ride, it would be a major undertaking to put everything back to stock since it is all welded in, not just bolted.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Dude, that is a good idea, especially for a DIY type person with a torch and some mn12 arms. Did you use a torch or what to cut it out? Thanks

P.S. Oh snap! I just passed the 3000 mark!

·
Super Moderator
5,167 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,689 Posts
Dude, that is a good idea, especially for a DIY type person with a torch and some mn12 arms. Did you use a torch or what to cut it out? Thanks

P.S. Oh snap! I just passed the 3000 mark!
Yup, used a torch. I actually started with a cut-off wheel, and it could be done that way, but it would take a while cause they are thicker than they look. About 1/4 of the way around the first spring cup, I got impatient and grabbed the torch, and they were cut out in 10 minutes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having the same problem with my 98 mark could you tell me wher to find the spring perches pictured and does anyone have a stiffer rear spring for the back of these cars mine now are from strutmaster and would like something a little firmer

·
Super Moderator
5,167 Posts
You could try some JJJJ rear springs out of a TBird or Cougar (that's the spring code). Or actually xxJJ - JJ for the back.

DLF also sells UMHW (??) spring perches, you may want to talk to him.

RwP

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm having the same problem with my 98 mark could you tell me wher to find the spring perches pictured and does anyone have a stiffer rear spring for the back of these cars mine now are from strutmaster and would like something a little firmer
How old are the shocks? I had some cheap monroe gas-matics that crapped out in no time leaving the rear end to bounce all over the place. Replaced them with sensatracs and the rear end is much more controlled. If you want even better/stiffer rear shocks check out the tokico's for a thunderbird, about 55 bucks each vs the 33 ea for the sensatracs. Bopth are good choices.

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
... could you tell me wher to find the spring perches pictured...
If you're referring to the pic I posted, there was at least one GP done on those some years ago, but as far as I know nobody carries them in regular inventory. You would have to have a set made.

·
Super Moderator
5,167 Posts
I had an idea today that may or may not work - take a pair of the Prothane thicker spring isolators, and use them on the UPPER spring mount also.

Dunno if they'd work, dunno how safe they'd be. Might be looking at, anyway.

RwP

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had an idea today that may or may not work - take a pair of the Prothane thicker spring isolators, and use them on the UPPER spring mount also.

Dunno if they'd work, dunno how safe they'd be. Might be looking at, anyway.

RwP
It would all depend on the type of upper purch used. On mine I wouldn't beable to add another one up top.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts