TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've got:

Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model 994124R

on a Gigabyte Z87M-D3H Motherboard.

I bought:

Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 UDIMM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Memory Model 997125F

Can I run these together or is the UDIMM not compatible with the SDRAM?

All other factors are the same:
  • DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000)
  • Timing 10-12-12-28
  • Cas Latency 10
Bleepin' Computers!

Anybody know where I can find the Mushkin 994124R ? It seems to be out of stock everywhere I look.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Should have no problem, model number differences most likely do to supply chain issues/differences. Only issue is they will run at which ever is slower, but they both are so close it won't matter.

·
Super Moderator
12,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I was concerned that the UDIMM wouldn't be compatible with the SDRAM.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Unless your running a server all your RAM is UDIMM, and should be in most cases.

·
Super Moderator
12,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool. Thanks again.

No server here, it's just a desktop.

·
Super Moderator
10,758 Posts
TM, it looks like the biggest difference is the R wants 1.575V and the F wants 1.5V.

I'd make sure that each one is on the same channel with its partner, so the different types are on different channels.

That way, it can set a different voltage for that pair of ram, and there shouldn't be any issues.

Also, unlike what you'd think, that the two black ones are one channel, and the grey ones are another, No.

The frontmost two are channel A, the two towards the processor are channel B.
Pair them up like that, and it should boot.
:)

http://download.gigabyte.ru/manual/mb_manual_ga-z87m(h87m)-d3h_e.pdf

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
That RAM layout is weird most channels go 1-2-3-4 not 1-3-2-4. Guess no real difference just make sure to follow manufactures directions. ;)

·
Super Moderator
12,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Grog!

Thanks guys!

I was running Adobe Lightroom and LRTimelapse programs along with a few other things. When I went to compile the photos the system choked and threw a low memory error. I never thought 16GB wouldn't be enough! Wow, those applications can eat up some resources.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Thanks Grog!

Thanks guys!

I was running Adobe Lightroom and LRTimelapse programs along with a few other things. When I went to compile the photos the system choked and threw a low memory error. I never thought 16GB wouldn't be enough! Wow, those applications can eat up some resources.
Haha maybe I can let you remote in to use my PC for those pc killing items lol. My gtx 1080 and 32Gb of ddr4 ram should handle it no problem. It would be the same as doing it on your computer, just my machine would do the crunching.

·
Super Moderator
10,758 Posts
That RAM layout is weird most channels go 1-2-3-4 not 1-3-2-4. Guess no real difference just make sure to follow manufactures directions. ;)
saw this awhile back. :)

One of my coworkers had almost the same problem a few weeks ago; he added completely different memory, one in each slot.

Did not work, lol.

I recently upgraded to DDR3-2400, 32GB from DDR3-1333 32GB, and it was a nice boost.
The mobo is an X79 Sabertooth with a 4.2GHz i7-3930K on it.
I'm running DOOM on a single HD7970 with no problems, but I want a newer video card.
:)
I should try the other 32mb, and see if it will run at 1333 in the other channels... Probably not, lol.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
16GB of RAM is quite a bit of RAM, even today. I'm curious to know what exactly threw that resource message at you, a program or Windows. If Windows, what did Task Manager show you?

·
Super Moderator
12,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Haha maybe I can let you remote in to use my PC for those pc killing items lol. My gtx 1080 and 32Gb of ddr4 ram should handle it no problem. It would be the same as doing it on your computer, just my machine would do the crunching.
Thanks so much Ian, I'll just add another 16GB of RAM to mine and be fine with my Titan X.

Besides, you don't have the software that I'm using. I'm considering switching to Adobe Premiere CC for my video editing. Sony Vegas is really showing its age and I don't believe it utilizes the GPU to it's full potential.

Honestly this is the first time I've run into a headroom issue. I haven't done much work with 4K video until now.

16GB of RAM is quite a bit of RAM, even today. I'm curious to know what exactly threw that resource message at you, a program or Windows. If Windows, what did Task Manager show you?
It was Windows that threw the low memory message; at the time it threw the error task manager showed 11 GB of utilization with ~ 2GB reserved for system resources for a total of ~ 13 GB utilized with 3 GB of head room for a total of 16 GB.

Just sitting here idling now with Task Manager, Outlook and Firefox open I'm showing 4.3 GB utilized (29%) with 14.6 free and a hardware reserve of 1.4 GB.

At the time it threw the low resource message I had Firefox, Outlook, Adobe Lightroom CC and LRTimelapes open. LRTimelapse was running some pretty intense computations at the time (Processing some 3,000+, 4K resolution photos) the CPU was showing maxed at 100% and memory usage was hovering around 11GB. I may have also had Sony Vegas Pro open at the time - I don't recall.

Anyway, here's the final result of what I was working on at the time if you guys would like to see - click over to YT and watch it in 4K if you like.
This is my latest time-lapse sequence from our vacation at Myrtle Beach last week.

There's a glitch at 0:14 that I haven't taken the time to figure out what caused but the rest of it is smooth.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rvqcWKP7oUM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I can see why you would get that message! BTW, the video looks great!

Any idea what the lights in the distance are towards the end, 2:00 - 2:10? I'm thinking it's a helicopter???

·
Super Moderator
12,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks so much.

Those are aircraft, as they approach they look like they're sitting still until they turn to land. The airport is south of where I was, shooting towards the southwest.

·
Super Moderator
12,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I ran this operation again this morning after installing another 16GB of RAM.

It's looking much better now. CPU utilization is still at 100% but RAM utilization is down to about 55% (16 to 17 GB of 32 utilized) with 13.5 Available vs 80+% utilization at only 11GB.

Thanks again guys for your input.

Grog. You're recommendations were priceless! I probably would not have figured out that they need to be grouped like that.

·
Super Moderator
10,758 Posts
I ran this operation again this morning after installing another 16GB of RAM.

It's looking much better now. CPU utilization is still at 100% but RAM utilization is down to about 55% (16 to 17 GB of 32 utilized) with 13.5 Available vs 80+% utilization at only 11GB.

Thanks again guys for your input.

Grog. You're recommendations were priceless! I probably would not have figured out that they need to be grouped like that.
I figured you'd already tried the obvious; seeing your mobo name made me remember my coworker's prob.

I tried the 2400-1333 in alternating slots; no way. 64GB is not in my future, lol.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts