TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a composite engineer in the working world. One of the body massages I am working on for this winter is a shaker style direct ram air system. I noticed that, on my '95 at least, the throttle body looks straight forward. While I have done ram air on my '86 Turbo Coupe, will ramming air into the intake require more fuel adjustment than the 95 ECM will handle????

·
Super Moderator
17,043 Posts
There is no such thing as Ram Air.

If you did this, yes, you'd need a tune because presumably you'd be relocating the MAF sensor closer to the Throttle body which will severely screw up readings from turbulant air(it may not be tunable).

If you do this, no, you don't need a tune because you're ramming air(hint: you're not)

Your turbo coupe has scoops to bring in cooler outside air to the intercooler. In fact all the old muscle cars pretending to have ram air are doing just that for a different component- opening up a cooler than underhood source of air for the carburator to take in - There's no ramming of air, it's all marketing

·
Super Moderator
12,082 Posts
Short of adding a supercharger this is as good as it gets on a '95. Read carefully.

Home made ram air

Unfortunately I don't have pictures of my install of this mod to share.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There was no inter-cooler on the '86 I had. Straight from turbo down the shoot. And the intake box was located about the same as on the 95. What I did with that was take the Fox fog lamps, I hate fog lamps, out. Then used some 4 in dryer flex hose and secured both ends. It did make a difference, mostly noticed on cool summer nights when that low lying mist would float just above the surface of the roads here in Va. It wasn't a supercharger by any means, but it did make the air in the intake box, which is usually a low pressure area, more dense.

Oh, one more bit of info I'd like some help with. I use 108 Octane boost in my shell 93 fuel. Seems to do a good job and you definitely notice a difference. Usually I do one bottle to a full tank then at half a tank add another bottle and fill up. When the boost gets this strong I have noticed that the car surges at full throttle. Not sure but is this because the computer is bouncing off the limit of it's advance curve???

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
There was no inter-cooler on the '86 I had. Straight from turbo down the shoot. And the intake box was located about the same as on the 95. What I did with that was take the Fox fog lamps, I hate fog lamps, out. Then used some 4 in dryer flex hose and secured both ends. It did make a difference, mostly noticed on cool summer nights when that low lying mist would float just above the surface of the roads here in Va. It wasn't a supercharger by any means, but it did make the air in the intake box, which is usually a low pressure area, more dense.

Oh, one more bit of info I'd like some help with. I use 108 Octane boost in my shell 93 fuel. Seems to do a good job and you definitely notice a difference. Usually I do one bottle to a full tank then at half a tank add another bottle and fill up. When the boost gets this strong I have noticed that the car surges at full throttle. Not sure but is this because the computer is bouncing off the limit of it's advance curve???

I had an 85 XR-7 with the 2.3 Turbo/5speed. They really did respond well to high octane. Not sure about the surging, been over 20 years since I had one, I do remember loving the surge of boost when I'd downshift from 5th to 3rd though. I did add an intercooler to mine though, made a world of difference.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts