TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No I am not talking about the type of ramps the "Duke boys and their General Lee" use to hit:D

I was thinking of picking up a set of ramps to use for working on my bird. I already have jack stands but thought maybe a set of ramps would be sweet. Plus they are on sale right now for cheap at Canadian tire:tongue:

Does anyone know if I would have a problem getting my bird on a set of ramps. The nose on these cars are so long and fairly low, I was not sure if maybe the front/ sides of my car might just hit the ramps before my wheels did. Anyone know?

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
2,118 Posts
All of my Tbirds went up the ramps ok!

If your driveway is gravel, it may have fun climbing them?

·
8,239 Posts
my lowered bird wouldn't get up ramps, until i went to the home store, and bought a couple pieces of plywood, and put them infront of the ramps, so it clears the ramp and doesn't scrape.

JH

·
Registered
859 Posts
My brother just got some lumber and we made our own. They work very well, and are about 100x safer then those steep flimsy ones you can buy. They work great on gravel or cement, and don't slide when you try to get up them. My SC with a 1.5" drop and 245/45/17 tires doesn't have any problems. My brother's Cougar is stock ride height with a Xenon front air dam, and he doesn't have any problems either. The only drawback is that they are HEAVY!!

Here are some poor pictures of them:

Thomas

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Thomas A said:
My brother just got some lumber and we made our own. They work very well, and are about 100x safer then those steep flimsy ones you can buy. They work great on gravel or cement, and don't slide when you try to get up them. My SC with a 1.5" drop and 245/45/17 tires doesn't have any problems. My brother's Cougar is stock ride height with a Xenon front air dam, and he doesn't have any problems either. The only drawback is that they are HEAVY!!
You can use rubber mats to keep the steel ramps from sliding. The steel ramps are stronger than they look. If you still doubt them, a few well placed welded steel reinforcers work wonders. My grandfather used them to help level his Motorhome!!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome, thanks for all of the advice guys! Canadian tire here I come:) Besides the ramps being on sale, I have a wack load of Canadian tire money saved up;)

TGJ I am okay with the garage floor. I have a nice cement pad in the garage. Now if I can only get the mother-in-law's 15 ft table, and cabinet, out of the garage I might have some room to work on the car LOL. How are you liking all of our new snow? From zero snow fall on the ground to 1 1/2ft in one day (sigh).

Thomas A those are some sturdy lookin ramps. I am sure you get a good work-out hauling those around. Thanks for posting the pictures.

Traveler any suggestions on where a person may find some cheap rubber mats or rubber material to use for under the ramps to keep them from sliding etc...?

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Try some car or truck floor mats? Any non slip surface should work. Maybe even Bath Mats!! Seriously! Any other Ideas?

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
2,118 Posts
Snow,

That was a real good April's fools day joke by Mother Nature. I was not impressed, especially with the fact that I put my summer tires on March 30. Needless to say the Bird hasn't moved since then.

·
Registered
178 Posts
i got a set of low profile ramps from Checker auto, Rhino Ramps i think is the name.. they have a longer ramp, but are the same height, so lower profile cars can get up on them.. its the only store bought ramps i have that i could get my Eclipse and Talon and Tbirds up on.. the rest just hit the bumper and get pushed out of the way...they are pretty nice ramps.. come with little rubber feet to keep them from sliding around when you drive up on them...

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rhino Ramps huh...sound pretty "custom deluxe" which is a good thing.:D I do not think here in Canda, at least in Saskatoon we have a Checkers auto. store. I will have to look around, before I spend my hard earned Canadian tire money, and see if anyone sells these ramps they sound nice. As long as they aren't to costly;) Thanks Grifter

·
Registered
164 Posts
I built those wood monsters pictured above. The work good, just hope you don't have to carry them very far.
I looked at Rhino ramps and even they are too steep for my ground effects.

I just happen to come across someones pic of the Rhino Ramps. Here, now you know what we are talking about:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Charlez. That should help me out when I go shopping. My car is currently stock ride height with no ground effects so the ramps sound like they will work okay with my current set up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts