TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made a few runs Saturday, mods are 2003 explorer PI motor, A/C delete and 3.73. I think it made good time with no tune and hitting the speed limiter before the finish.

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
Looks pretty good for an "off the shelf" setup.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Most have been good air if that's a stock tc cause that's a very impressive 60 ft for no tune and stock tc get a tune and the mph should be in the 96 plus range

Nice times

·
West Virginia Chapter Director /, MA Drag Race Te
2,643 Posts
Joe

Good job bud. Now by next year you need to get a tune in that car. Hmm, I think I might have told you that last year LOL!! : )

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
How does your car run with the 3.73 gears and no tune? I only ask because I am getting my gears installed shortly but I won't have enough money to get a new tune for a while. Wondering if I should just wait and do it all at once.

Are those 245/60 tires are in the front too?

·
Registered
652 Posts
How does your car run with the 3.73 gears and no tune? I only ask because I am getting my gears installed shortly but I won't have enough money to get a new tune for a while. Wondering if I should just wait and do it all at once.

Are those 245/60 tires are in the front too?
you dont need a tune to run gears, just change out the speedo gear in the tranny(takes 5 mins) and everything works like those were the stock gears. It work untill you get crazy like 4.10s or like me with 4.30s, then a speedcal works to correct the speedo reading.

Somewhere floating around here or SCCOA, they tell what speedo gear you need for the set of gears you plan on running.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Well his top speed is 91 with 3.73, it works it just lowers your speed limiter

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Like they said put the gears in, don't worry about the tune. And yes the front tires are the same size as the rears. But right now I changed my wheels back to the stock fan rims with those tires.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Ok thanks guys. That's great news I have forgotten that I would just need to change the speedo gear. I talked to a few different tuners and they told me I would need a retune for the 3.73 gears. The computer commands the tranny to shift based on mph correct? I actually have a tune with the limiter removed so I shouldn't have a problem with hitting it at 91.

Wolfer- In the picture above its hard to tell, are those not the fan blades with the 245/60 tires? I found some Bridgestone tires in that size that I will probably go with and they were about $150 a piece. Kinda pricey for 15s but I'm sure they will be worth the upgrade over my 235/60 firehawk tires.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here are the wheels I had on before.

I have the same tires on my truck. They have great dry traction and do pretty good in the snow.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ran at cecil saturday, only thing done was a tune to rid of the speed limiter. Got it down to a [email protected] It was alittle warm mid to upper 50's, going to try to go back one friday night before they close. I want to see if I can hit 14.2 in the cooler night air.

·
Super Moderator
12,415 Posts
Congrats Joe.

Great job. I think you'll get that 14.2 before the end of the year.

The MAMN12 DRT list is certainly already on a shake up. Be sure to get your times in.

Just wait until the Carolina Thunder meet!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Made a few friday night runs, temp was in the mid 40's. Got it down to 14.0.

R/T.....309
60'.....2.130
1/8.....9.142
mph....78.08
1/4.....14.076
mph....100.14

·
Registered
629 Posts
Time for a converter and hello easy 13's.

·
West Virginia Chapter Director /, MA Drag Race Te
2,643 Posts
Time for a converter and hello easy 13's.
Yes, converter, exhaust and drag tires to hook it with the converter.

Nice to run on a good track, in excellent air!!!!!!! Make one more attempt and try to hit a 13.9

Congrats Joe!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Wow 14 flat. That's gotta be the fastest time for a thunderbird with a stock converter.

Wolfer, I got those 245/60 BF T/A tires but they don't hook as well as I would like them to, I spin pretty good off the line. Yours seem to hook pretty good with those 60' times. What air pressure do you run them at? Quick burnout or no burnout? If you don't mind me asking.

When the track opens back up I'm trying to get my 9.6 1/8th mile down to about where you have yours. My 60' time is gargage tho 2.2x-2.3 lol

·
Super Moderator
10,903 Posts
Are we posting to searches? That's from 2012...

I do this a lot sometimes. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts