TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So....I let a friend use my Tbird for a couple of days while their tranny was being rebuilt. Apparently, the car overheated and stalled yesterday. I picked up my friend and took her home. She said it was in the red for a few miles...then started steaming and then finally shut itself off.

I went back to the car today....put about three gallons of water into the reservoir....and it started! But it sounds like %@I#*. It has a horrible ticking sound.....when at a stop the car rumbles side to side like my brothers' Chevelle.....but in a good way.

I managed to make it home....barely.....as I pulled into the drive....the motor felt as if it was starting to seize...didn't want to rev much at all.

So....is the motor most likely shot? If so, how much does an average used 4.6 go for?:confused:

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
So....I let a friend use my Tbird for a couple of days while their tranny was being rebuilt. Apparently, the car overheated and stalled yesterday. I picked up my friend and took her home. She said it was in the red for a few miles...then started steaming and then finally shut itself off.

I went back to the car today....put about three gallons of water into the reservoir....and it started! But it sounds like %@I#*. It has a horrible ticking sound.....when at a stop the car rumbles side to side like my brothers' Chevelle.....but in a good way.

I managed to make it home....barely.....as I pulled into the drive....the motor felt as if it was starting to seize...didn't want to rev much at all.

So....is the motor most likely shot? If so, how much does an average used 4.6 go for?:confused:
Change the oil... check to see if there's coolant in it.

·
5,650 Posts
If you put three gallons of water in the tank, then that thing was empty. You may have a blown headgasket or even a cracked head. I would drain the oil as suggested above and check for coolant. I'd even check the filter for shavings. Then I would do a compression test. Those things will tell you the state of the engine.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I'd say your friend owes you a new motor... Anyone that notices the temp getting into the red and keeps driving it just doesn't care.

I had a friend of mine just last week loose his Ranger motor to his girlfriend for this exact issue. She drove it till it died, and now he has a blown HG and the head is junk.

Hope you are luckier than this.

Jay

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well.....I drained the oil....and it is milky white looking. So yeah it's kinda messed up. There did not seem to be any shavings. The motor no longer cranks or anything. The starter engages and that's it.

Thanks for the info!

The friend is broke so I will not try to pursue any reimbursment. I will just drive one of my other cars until I can fix the thunderchicken.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
dont even go there with your *****ty attitude...i'm trying to help you by enlightening you....the 4.6 has been used since 91 Lincolns all the way up until now, so there isn't only ONE 4.6 that will work in your car....a 94 4.6 mn12 engine is also a direct swap into your car.......the long block of a 96-98 mustang gt/Tbird/Cougar would also be a direct swap...it's only a no-brainer for those that don't know their options, such as yourself

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
dont even go there....the 4.6 has been used since 91 Lincolns all the way up until now, so there isn't only ONE 4.6 that will work in your car....a 94 4.6 is also a direct swap into your car.......the long block of a 96-98 mustang gt/Tbird/Cougar would also be a direct swap...it's only a no-brainer for those that don't know their options, such as yourself
I see your point. I assumed people would assume that I would be looking for the same year. I was wrong. My apologies for being a "insert swear word".

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
I'd say find a good cheap takeout motor from the same year (or a 96-97 with additional work) bird or cat and swap it in if you're just trying to get it on the road again...or better yet go PI....a nice aluminum explorer motor would do the trick, I'd say....man that thing must've got pretty durnned hot to cook itself like that...sucks...

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
I sold a 94/95 Tbird 4.6 for $500 a few years back. If you want to upgrade, you'll need to spend more money on the conversion parts and the better engines usually go for a little bit more $$ as well. I wouldnt get too crazy, keep it stock and you wont have any problems with smog. ;)

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Take all the plugs out of it, remove fuse #15 from under the hood (or just trip the inertia switch in the trunk, just need to cut off fuel somehow) and then see if the motor spins over. You might get away w/ doing just the HG's if you're tight on money. Beats swapping the whole motor. Just have the heads checked while they're off and stick some new gaskets in it.

This is of course if you do not hear any strange noises once you replace the plugs and see if she still runs, albeit briefly as to not pump more water into the cylinders. If you don't hear a rod knock or see/hear anything else strange then the lower end might be good.

Jay

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
IMHO, (without knowing your financial situation) I would recommend a simple swap of a good low mileage used engine. You might even be able to find a newer (non-PI engine) and then just swap your intake onto it. That would save you the money of doing the conversion stuff for the different intake, but get the better heads.

If you have the money and time, then the Explorer swap is usually the best bang for the buck.

But just my .02. :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
10,319 Posts
It would be a no brainer that I would look for the same year motor.
No, a No-brainer puts a 94 or 95 motor Back in a car.

If you search hard enough, you might find out why.

You're going to do well here,lol.

·
Like Titles Matter
2,129 Posts
Your attitude sucks. And I can't believe you still call this person a friend after they intentionally destroyed an engine and have no intention whatsoever of paying for it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Your attitude sucks.
Sorry you feel that way dude. I did apologize for what I said. If that is not sufficient, then that is your deal.

And I can't believe you still call this person a friend after they intentionally destroyed an engine and have no intention whatsoever of paying for it.
I would not say she intentionally destroyed it. Granted most people would know to pull over and shut the car off when it gets too hot....but perhaps she is lacking common sense. Needless to say, she will neither drive nor ride in any car of mine again. 'Sides, not like we hang out often.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
IMHO, (without knowing your financial situation) I would recommend a simple swap of a good low mileage used engine. You might even be able to find a newer (non-PI engine) and then just swap your intake onto it. That would save you the money of doing the conversion stuff for the different intake, but get the better heads.

If you have the money and time, then the Explorer swap is usually the best bang for the buck.

But just my .02. :thumbsup:
Thanks for the two cents! My budget will allow a basic motor swap. I would love to get some more power/better motor....but that will most likely have to wait. Seems like everything is breaking down all at once.....no beuno!

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
these cars are money pits, no two ways about it....you can also look around your city to see if any shop has replaced a 4.6 engine due to "too many miles"...might be a long shot, but even at 100k, these motors are bullet proof under normal circumstances...you never know you might score a good used 4.6 for cheap

and FWIW, some of us Texans are "high strung" to put it easily...lol...so if you dish it out, just remember to take the heat while you're in the kitchen...if you can handle that, you'll be alright here

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
these cars are money pits, no two ways about it....you can also look around your city to see if any shop has replaced a 4.6 engine due to "too many miles"...might be a long shot, but even at 100k, these motors are bullet proof under normal circumstances...you never know you might score a good used 4.6 for cheap
Good idea! Thanks dude. I founf a place online called "Engine and Transmission World" where they advertise a used 95 4.6 with 56k miles for $995 with free shipping......hope it's a good one though!

and FWIW, some of us Texans are "high strung" to put it easily...lol...so if you dish it out, just remember to take the heat while you're in the kitchen...if you can handle that, you'll be alright here
Dude, i understand, I was havin a crappy night didn't need to act like an idiot. Sorry again.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts