TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so here's the scoop: Sonetimes when im out on the highway, my check engine light will turn on for a little while, as in about a minute, and then turn back off......and randomly, it will randomly turn back on again, and turn off......Tried scanning with an OBD I scanner, but no luck, the plug didnt fit into the tester, same shape as OBD I though....I'm confused....any ideas what could be causing it??

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Didn't Fords OBD-I system have two plugs, one right next to the other. Im not sure on the Marks, but are you sure its not OBD-II. The Birds and Cougars were OBD-II in 94 if it had the V8, but like I said, Im not sure which year they switch it for the Marks.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
You have OBD-II either Autozone or Aamco will read them for free. Most likely though its either O2 (doubtful) or more than likely a miss fire.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
You may not have any stored codes with a random light, doesn't hurt to check them. I had the same problem with my daughter's Nissan Altima, I thought it was an injector but when I replaced the plugs and wires it went away. We had that random light for over a year, but it seemed to be running fine until one day it got real bad. I pulled plug wires one at a time and one that made no difference when it was off. Also look for oil of water in the plug holes.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
none of the above. There are aboutt 1000 diagnostic trouble codes that the EEC can spit out if the check engine light is on....want a tip? stop speculating and scan the car.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Mine was doing the same before it died yesterday. I work about 35-40 from home so when I get on the highway it started to do the same thing you are saying. I got it checked today and it happens to be the fuel pump went out. It did it for about 2 weeks before this happened.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts