TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past Sunday my wife and I had just come back from vacation so I had a few hours to work on the tbird again while she and the kiddo took a nap -- my vacation :)

While underneath my car, I found that amazingly enough after 3 years of hard abuse, my subframe bolts (the one with the funny ETORX heads on them) were loose. How loose? Well, 2 on the passenger side and 3 on the drivers side were looser enough you could visible see the threads?!

Just to keep me sane, I checked with the frame shop to see if this loosening was part of some kind of frame straightening procedure. It's not :)

The most likely answer is that when I first converted this car to a V8 three years ago, I had the smart idea that I needed a 7qt oilpan and this this required me to loosen my subframe bolts (and break 20 years of crud/whatever that had kept those bolts in place since the car left the factory). Over the past three years these bolts loosened themselves out. Scary.

Bottom Line: if you've ever loosened your subframe bolts in the past (or even if you haven't), do yourself a favor next time you are underneath the car and CHECK YOUR BOLTS. :)

PS. When I asked my autobody guy about this, he said that the last lemons car he fixed had used wheel spacers and they had apparently lost 3 out of 4 of the bolts holding the spacer onto the hub. Yeah, that would have sucked.

·
Super Moderator
5,022 Posts
Heh.

There's a reason why, after snugging mine down, I removed them one at a time and red-locktite'd them back in place.

RwP

1 - 2 of 2 Posts